10% Ethanol may be done for...

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20120811&Category=AUTO01&ArtNo=208110328&Ref=AR&Profile=1121&MaxW=640&Border=0&White-House-No-decision-yet-ethanol-requirements-amid-corn-shortage

[LEFT]
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120811/AUTO01/208110328#ixzz23GuP2j65
[/LEFT]

Washington -The White House said Friday it has made no decision on whether to waive ethanol requirements for use by the nation’s 250 million vehicles in the wake of a severe drought that’s cutting corn yields.

On Friday, a United Nations official urged the Obama administration to suspend ethanol requirements under the 2007 Renewable Fuel Standard as fears of food shortages grow.
The law assures big demand for corn. It is popular in corn-growing states, making it politically difficult to waive the requirements.

The standard is opposed by many groups, including livestock producers who say the diversion of corn to ethanol raises feed prices — and food prices. More than 180 members of Congress have called on the administration to waive the requirements.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said, “The EPA has made clear that they’re working closely with the Department of Agriculture to keep an eye on yields, and they will evaluate all the relevant information when assessing that situation.”

EPA spokeswoman Alisha Johnson said the agency is watching the issue: “We are in close contact with USDA as they and we keep an eye on crop yield estimates, and we will review any data or information submitted by stakeholders, industry and states relating to the RFS program.”

Carney said the administration was taking the drought seriously.

“The president is committed to ensuring that his administration is taking every step possible to help farmers and ranchers who have been affected by this disaster,” Carney said. “The administration has already taken several steps from opening up lands for haying and grazing, to providing emergency loans, to helping get more truck drivers on the roads delivering much-needed supplies.”

José Graziano da Silva, the director-general of the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, said in a Financial Times op-ed that the mandates will hurt food production.
“Much of the reduced crop will be claimed by biofuel production in line with U.S. federal mandates, leaving even less for food and feed markets,” he wrote. “An immediate, temporary suspension of that mandate would give some respite to the market and allow more of the crop to be channeled towards food and feed uses.” About 40 percent of U.S. corn will be used for biofuels, he wrote.

On Friday, the USDA reduced its estimate of corn production to its lowest level in 17 years — 17 percent less than its last forecast, and 13 percent less than last year.
The United States grows about 40 percent of the world’s corn. Prices on Friday remained above $8 a bushel, but could top $10, some analysts forecast.
Corn prices have jumped by more than 400 percent over the last seven years as the U.S. has dramatically boosted the amount of corn-based ethanol.

Under a 2007 energy law, the U.S. is dramatically increasing the use of ethanol in vehicle fuel — to 15.2 billion gallons this year, up from 5 billion gallons in 2007. By 2022, the U.S. must use 36 billion gallons of biofuel, though 21 billion gallons are supposed to be from advanced cellulosic ethanol.

In order to use all of the ethanol required, the EPA has approved the use of a higher blend of ethanol fuel called E15 — which is 15 percent ethanol — up from E10, which is used at most pumps today.

The higher blend of fuel is only approved for vehicles from 2001 and newer, because automakers say engines can be corroded by the higher fuel. They have fought the fuel, arguing it could also hurt newer vehicles.
[LEFT]
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120811/AUTO01/208110328#ixzz23GuKkA2A
[/LEFT]

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120811/AUTO01/208110328/1121/AUTO01/White-House--No-decision-yet-on-ethanol-requirements-amid-corn-shortage

good

i heat my home with corn. im pretty worried about the prices this season. When i first started burning corn 7 years ago it was $160/ton. last year it was $310-340/ton.

Good , still don’t see why they have a corn requirement anyway for fuel . It has no good effect on cars at all unless its e85 .

Sorry at my lack of info on this, but do you have any links for this type of system?? I have a fireplace that i don’t use and have been looking into alternative fuel heating.

There are very strong lobby groups for major corn growers. They “convince” major politicians that corn is the only thing we should make ethanol from so the price of corn goes up. There are plenty of other substitutes that could be used and some materials that are even burned to be destroyed. It’s just good old American greed :banghead

We’ve been using wood pellet for ~10 years now and it’s pretty economical.

x2 my parents have been useing also for a while. It puts out a ecent amount of heat, no or little smoke and pretty easy cleaning. although you have to buy alot of bags of pellets for a winter but combined with a oil heater works well. The bags are not that expensive but can add up after a while.

I’ve been running my pellet boiler to heat the entire house for the past 5 years. $1200 a season > 5k+ for oil. Only downside is you have to keep up on maintenance and the storing of the pellets.

See that doesn’t even seem like it would be beneficial for my situation. My house is SUPER efficient and my heat/electric bills are shit each month so it would take forever for it to start to make me money.

My stove will burn pellets, but it was made for corn. Pellets are very dirty when compared to burning corn, and you get a lot more heat out of the corn.

Burning straight corn i can heat the whole house, wood pellets wont do that when it gets real cold.

good , get rid of it , but bad that coppola will have to retune my car for no ethanol then .

This is going to be pretty ignorant but personally from the farms I have been on this year the local corn crop is doing 1000x better than last year. I’m not really sure where they are coming up with this big disaster. Fields last year that at this time that were 3-4 ft high and sparse are 9 feet high and literally hard to walk through. I know the northeast doesn’t put out everyone’s corn but what part of the country is dropping the ball here?

The entire western part of the us (basically west of the Mississippi River) has had little to no rain for crops. The northeast has been the only area getting the most consistent rain, keep in mind crops here are better because we had an early start to spring but the rest of the country did not.

The mid-mid west. And pretty bad too according to different sources. Some counties are even state of emergency currently. Supposedly price of gas is going to jump up a bunch and accordingly price of food. The government is even buying some food I think through the USDA and giving it to homeless shelters to prop up the farmers, although I forgot my source.

Ethanol should not belong in gas. Subsidies are bs.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if Irene stirring up the soil is making for more nutrient rich growing conditions up here as well.

yes, the mid west is having a natural disaster of a drought. The corn produced here in the northeast is a small fraction of US corn production.

Irene washed away a lot of top soil which is the most important soil for growing.

This area suffered badly. We went about 6 weeks without a drop of rain. Other areas didn’t do quite so badly but I can assure you up until a few weeks ago we were in a major drought situation. Every field of corn we had was rolled up and turning brown. I can take you into field right now and show you corn that will produce nothing. These last few weeks have taken all of the borderline corn and revived it, some of it is doing very well. We did lose around 40 acres though.

The spring made no difference really. There was an odd cold snap that would have killed most corn planted early in april. Everything planted in may though started out doing incredible, until it dried up in early june. Some of our sweet corn failed to germinate.

Anyone not irragating in the mid west is in trouble. They also grow a very long season corn there. It requires a ton of water in comparison to what we can grow here. 50% crop losses are about the average it seems, since I heard most of those guys are right at the limit for their crop insurance (60%).

It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Interesting. Dust bowl 2012?

The drought came too late in the year for that. The roots have established themselves. If it doesn’t gey we out there before spring maybe, but no till and minimal tillage is big out there so they don’t plow like they used to. I don’t see it happening lol.