Migrating windows?

I have 2 problems:

Finally got my computer running again.
But the new motherboard/processor apparently didnt like the previous windows install, so i installed it on a second harddrive.

1. But, now when i try to access my old “my documents” folder (on my old C: drive, now it’s E: ) i get an “access denied” error. I am assuming that this is because it was set to private for my old, password protected, windows logon user… How can i access these files?

2. Is there a way to migrate the windows install onto the E: drive so my computer will function as it did before…?

should have gotten a dell!!

i kid i kid.

anyway if i was youuuu i would pm krazyjon. i’m sure he can help you out one way or another.

he’s working on something for me right now… :slight_smile: :wink:

o/t how is my souuuuthern speak comin’ along? lol

should’ve just formated and did a clean reinstall

i didnt want to lose all my data.

in that case you hsould have backed up your data.

:word:

thanks mom. ill just go back in time and take care of that… lol

LoL, next time newman… next time.

I know that there is a way to save that data, but it requires Some preemptive work. Can You boot from the old drive at all?

no
it wont work.
old drive is configured for P4 and p4p800-e deluxe
new drive is configured for amd 64 3200+ and a8e-n

Was the old drive working in the old computer? Is there a way you could put it back in the old comp and just transfer the files over the LAN?

i can acess all the files on the old drive except the ones that were in my old “my documents” folder. BEcause i had them made “private” so you could only acess them by logging onto my username.

oh. umm, I dont have any hacks for that. soory.

if i “repair” the version of windows on my old drive, will it reconfigure itself for the new MOBO?

honestly just quit asking these huge-nerd posers. :gapteeth: :smiley:

pm krazyjon for help.

it makes no difference what the drive is configured for as far as CPU and mobo go, both drives will work in any configuration, as long as there is 1 boot drive.

so throw that out of the equation.

now as far as ur other issue, like jack said always back ur shit up if u are doing any type of hardware installs, for this reason alone!!!

and here is ur fix.
you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take ownership of the folder:
Turn off Simple File Sharing:
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK.

oh snap, kev with the save.

yeah, i deal with this shit every day.
lol

thanks man. I assume you probably wouldnt have helped me if i had gone AMD -> P4

:lol:

lol no i work on both here :slight_smile:

u wouldent of had these issues with AMD :stuck_out_tongue:

LoL, :tup: to the Help desk!