Mini Garage "build"

Just thought I’d post a couple pictures of when I cleaned up may garage a bit.

If you’ve ever been to my home shop, it was OK, but it wasn’t a great place to work. The floor was a piece of shit. It was sunken in 4" in some spots and I had those pits covered with carpets which just sucked up oil and dirt.

Well the catalyst for all this was this:
(ok well this isn’t the exact order it happened in but this is WHY)

So with the BMW gone I had plenty of space to work on stuff. So first I dragged EVERYTHING out of my garage. It looked like a super expensive garage sale. I’m sure my neighbors were excited for me moving away or something.

Then I leveled out the floor with some quickcrete. I knew I’d be covering it so I just got it close. Wound up using like 25 bags or something outrageous. It was really bad. Then some boxes arrived:

[]imgimghttp://i.imgur.com/iGuidN9.jpg][/img]

But first, it was time to paint! (thanks @GV1390)

I was going to paint an accent stripe around the wall like everyone does in their garage, but the paint was taking a long time to dry so instead I went with an accent wall. Figured this color would be a fitting tribute to the now-gone BMW.

Then I broke open one of the boxes. In it: race deck floor tiles. I think I paid 1200 to do the entire 2 car garage. If you order directly and tell them you’re a garagejournal.com member you’ll get a decent discount. ($2.99 per tile VS $3.79). Installing it is easy and goes quickly. Having a table saw is VERY helpful to trim the pieces along edges. I was using a jigsaw for a bit and it fuckin’ sucked.

Then I threw together this rad motorcycle lift. I’ll never work on a bike without one again…
This is the one I got: http://www.nhproequip.com/pro-1200max-motorcycle-lift-package-free-shipping
It’s not as nice as a Handy brand lift, but it’s half the cost.

Then I snagged this rad old mill and saw. Holy shit the mill is heavy. 1300+ pounds. Walked it into the garage with 2 other people (thanks @King)

Had the guys at work bend me up this 7ga rad cor-ten bench top to go over my old wooden one. Considered SS, but the cor-ten is less prone to scratching.

The last thing I did was build this awesome storage bin holder at my friend’s custom case shop. I was so sick of having to dig through all my bins of hardware to get to the tray I needed. Now I don’t have to. If you ever need a super durable road case for instruments, gear, AV, whatever, he’s your guy. They’re local, give discounts for local people, you don’t pay shipping, etc. Check them out: kentcustom.com

Bonus trivia: does anyone recognize this building?

And here is everything in place:

Tell ya what. A little paint and a little flooring and a few tools go a LONGGGGGGGGG way on making a place nice to work.

Didn’t realize Brian switched buildings, easy trivia.

Place turned out great, probably because your dad re-cut the edges of the paint, lol.

Very nice!

Looks great. :tup:

Looks good. I did a similar floor product called garagetrac for a couple bucks less in my old garage.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/PAMfan270/Cars/BE7071E8-F0B9-474B-99A0-3A6DE0133CB4-1990-000000D83267702C_zpsbb6a50d7.jpg

What was the tile price though?

Do I have all home improvement threads turned off or something? Looks great. The bike stash has me jealous. :tup:

Be gentle, it’s a rental.

How fucked up was the floor before you leveled it? Really broken up? Or just a few bad spots?

I received my quote for race deck last week.

I was going to do the coin top and now I’m contemplating the free-flow. Any reason you chose the coin top over the free-flow? Cost to me isn’t an issue as it’s going to be ~$200 difference (cheaper) to do the free-flow. I’m thinking convenience and clean up might be easier on coin-top. However, you’re not pulling cars in and out all winter either.

• Updated - - -

Garage trac is ~$2.15/ sq.ft.

I’ve been going back and forth for a month. I’m just not motivated to make a decision, ha.

I didn’t want free-flow because I spill a lot of shit and I want to be able to clean it up. Also I do a lot of sanding and grinding and want to be able to sweep up. Fuck the freeflow shit.

• Updated - - -

Pretty fuckin’ bad. It’s likely to crack again. The whole apartment is sinking slowly, but that’s OK because I don’t own it.

When I move I’ll take my floor with me.

Signed,
Somebody who does real work.

It’s cool, anything he does in that garage is an improvement… even if he burns it down.

2.19 per square, no tax, shipped iirc.

This is where I am at. I still like to enjoy my space and take care of it even if I don’t own it. Your landlord must LOVE you.

Are you supposed to be able to use jacks and jackstands on those tiles without ruining them? Or will you end up with cracks and dents all over them?

I’ve used jacks and jack stands on it. They’re very durable. Also you could put one in a vice and fold it in half. They’re not a brittle material.

excellent setup for a home garage, and that hardware rack setup has me pretty jealous. I have a set of those wall-mount bin racks and they’ve just been braking over time and now the broken bins are all over my bench. sucks. lol.

it definitely looks good. :tup:
and thank you for recognizing that i am 2 people. lolol jk not srs…

semi srs.

Thats a hell of a garage for the space. Whats with the braided ratchet straps?