Garage Floor Coating/Covering

Recently had our offer accepted for a house.

Tentative closing is late September if all goes well.

House has a very deep 2 car garage. Not sure of sq/ft at the moment but it is big enough for 4 cars with work bench and tool along back wall.

Im thinking that before we move anything into the garage that a epoxy-type floor coating of some kind would be a good idea. Floor looks to be in great shape-minimal stains and no cracks that I saw.

Looking to do it late September-early October before tool boxes, benches and cars get moved in.

Ive used a Walmart brand epoxy coating on my basement and wasnt too happy with results. Seemed to not stick like it should it spots and chipped and pealed a bit. Probably bad prep or moisture still in the floor.

So what have you all used? Recommendations? Tips/advice?
Who makes/sells the best epoxy coating?

Id prefer a light gray color with the chips in it.

What is the cost of hiring a company come in and do it? Are there even local companies that do this type of work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Customized Surfaces. PM me and I can send you Rockys contact info. He has numerous options depending on what you’re looking to achieve.

Pm sent.

I’m closing on a house September 1st, probably half that much garage space. Not sure what to do will probably leave it as I plan on building a barn next summer.

What do the pros have that I couldn’t do?

Kinda what in trying to figure out. And how much it costs for them to do. Sometimes its just easier to pay a professional lol

I’m curious what people like to use. Wish I did this to my garage floor when I bought my house.

I’ve done a ton of research on this actually, if you can get a hold of actual 2-part in commercial sizes then it’ll be good for a while, but most box store kits are a sad excuse for epoxy coatings.

Yea my experience with box store kits doesn’t include a clear top sealer coating. Basement floor was a letdown in some spots and commercial store garage floor paint peeled easily under hot tires.

Im thinking that a commercial grade floor coating product would be more naturally more expensive but more durable and longer lasting.

Watching videos on youtube seems like diamond grinding and etching is the way to go for prep.

Proper floor coating seems like a job for the pros.

I should be getting back into the future house/garage later this week with the gome inspector so Ill take some measurements and try and get a quote.

look up “concrete locator - next generation” on facebook to see what can be done with the proper commercial materials. Elitecrete is the big name out there and locally Frank Baliva can point you in the direction of a contractor that is a certified installer.

Who is doing your home inspection?

Ill look into that, thank you.

Unm dont know the name of the inspector. I believe we are using an inspector who did two of our relatives homes.

Would like to get it done friday. Can you help? Lol

Have you looked at doing ceramic tile instead of a floor coating? Tiles with a toughness rating of 4 or 5 are under $2/sq foot, hold up to abuse and can be replaced fairly easily. Plus the look is amaizing. Home depot carries an 18x18 matte grey that I plan on using.

I’ve always used drylok for basements with good results. I wouldn’t use it for my garage due to tire heat, but I always paint the floors in the basement with it prior to moving in.

didn’t realize ceramic tile would be a good option for the garage. Ill do some research.

• Updated - - -

Drylock was good for our current basement walls. Will most likely do the same in next house. Drylock on the floors of the basement isn’t a bad idea.

If you go tile, use an epoxy based grout and go with a dark color. Doubt cement based grout would hold up and require sealing.

If I could go back in time, I’d likely bite the bullet and do tile…

and go with a bigger tile, 18 x 18 or 24 x 24. makes rolling a jack around easier. also make sure its ada compliant, meaning that it wont get slippery when wet.

Yeah if you’re using a jack, stands,etc. Tile might not make the cut. I might predict issues.

From the quick research ive done on garage tile it seems like a good option if you get the proper ones.

Hard to wrap my mind around tiles not cracking from a jack / jackstands etc.

I think the two options will be epoxy coating and have it professionally done or going with some sort of plastic tile.

I’ve been going through the same thought process. Every option has pros and cons. Plastic tiles are durable and easy to install but noisy. Coatings can chip or peel. Ceramic tiles are an interesting idea. I wonder if they can really hold up to a floor jack.

Ive also seen a rubberish plastic tiles offered by same companies that make the plastic tiles.

Going to home inspection tomorrow and will measure the garage to start getting things priced out and quotes to have coatings done.