Garage Floor Coating/Covering

GarageJournal.com flooring forum, go read real posts from the real floor owners

This ^

Tile is much tougher than you would think

I would go with tile in my 2.5car but it has a sloped floor for drainage, not to mention the new section of slab for the lift. So epoxy it is…

yea that site has been by newest internet bible. Crazy what these garages look like.

Call it personal preference but I do not like the idea of ceramic tile in the garage. I don’t have the plan to ever have a 2post/4post lift. I can get down with those smaller floor lifts that raise the car a couple feet though.

Flooring for this garage will be epoxy or plastic/rubber tile.

Home inspection got done today. Stoked on this garage.

24 wide x 32 deep. Plenty of room for several Miatas. Has a drain in the center.

Across the yard is a 12x9 shed that will hold lawn tractor, mowers, lawn tools etc etc. Garage will be all cars, workshop and storage.

The front slab by the right garage door has a crack in it but the concrete on either side of crack appears to be level. Seems like an easy patch job and cover with epoxy.

Will be calling references given shortly for a quote.

So for my curiosity, who was the inspector?

Also, this thread has convinced me to explore porcelain tile for the garage. I was going to do epoxy but tile just seems so much more awesome.

Fred Liam (sp?) came highly recommended to us from mother in law and sister in law. This evening he sent us a 47 page report with pictures , graphics and detailed notes of any issues he found. Seemed to do a really nice job for us.

And this thread has me exploring porcelain garage tile. Crazy that I am saying that. Seems like garage tile is the way to go. Quote for epoxy was over $4000.

Probably tile it for half that honestly

From my rough estimates, yup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess your time is free but it’s alot of work setting tile, especially if you’ve never done it. Don’t forget to add in the cost for the concrete prep, proper thinset, and epoxy grout (Quartzlock is one and there’s another that I’ve used that’s even better but labor intensive.) If you go the tile route, make sure you get the right amount of thinset down and proper “setting pressure” to eliminate voids. That’s where the tile will crack if it’s going to.

Of course time is not free.

Id still prefer a professional epoxy coating. It can be done later on down the road, would just be more work to move everything out of the garage rather than doing it right away.

I told my wife that I was going to spend $700 on Custom Building Products self leveling cement and sealer, and another $800 on tile, mortar and grout. She rolled her eyes and said but it is just a garage. I said, but it’s my garage? she said I guess. Now I just need to find a good deal on a tile that I like. The ones I like at this point are like $5.75/sqft. Garage journal says be patient. I lack patience but we will see how well I hold out.

Yea cost will definitely add up. Im at the point in my life where Id rather do it right one time even if it is tile.

I was searching some online tile outlet and seeing good prices. Still would be a couple grand with everything.

Racedeck emailed me a quote today for their Circletrack rubber tiles for just under $2700.

What I don’t get about the rubber tiles is what do you do with a spill? Lift them up and mop underneath?

Im assuming the rubber tiles fit together tight enough that not much gets through.

Ill do some research on what can close up the seams.

Ive also been looking into large rollout mats with a coin pattern. 10’x24’ are $575 for more than 2. Id need 3 mats to cover this garage. It would only have 2 seams the width of the garage. Spills or leaks could be soaked up easily.

I saw a commercial for one that was basically a mesh.

And even if it’s solid there’s no way tiles like that snap together and form a water tight seal.

I agree. And i dont see the mesh/see through ones working in winter environments.

The large coin pattern rolls seem like a good option.

These seam joints look like they do a nice job holding more than one mat together.

Tell her it’s an investment into the home and will help increase value if you ever decide to sell. An already finished garage floor would be a huge selling point for many buyers out there (for example everyone in this thread)

my go-to line is “you have the Kitchen, I have the garage”

Not really on the same lines of garage flooring, but a small part of me things putting up a 2k sq ft barn could hurt me at sale time as it will put me into a niche market. I don’t think it will change what I do, just something that’s crossed my mind.

I don’t think my pole barn / garage is going to hurt me one bit. With no basement in the existing house, it makes a huge difference in storage.

99% of buyers aren’t going to give a damn about the garage floor as long a it’s not cracked and falling apart. Put it in because you want it not because it’s an investment.

This.