Has Anyone Used Rustoleum or Any Other Brand Garage Floor Epoxy?

Well After Years of Saving I finally got the garage I needed/wanted.
The biggest I was allowed without any variance in the town of tonawanda.
The builder were superfast and professional! I would recommend them to anyone. I will asked if they want there name to be publish but overall they did a excellent job for the price they offered!
3 Week from the time of them breaking ground for the foundation to the 95% completed product minus the garage door. [The actual build was less then 24hr!!!]

So now im still awaiting the 28+ Day for the concrete to cure, so i can do the first “mod” Epoxy the floor.
I am leaning toward the Rustoleum Epoxy but would like to hear opinion on people who have had experience with it feedback at least.

Its 720sqft garage.
I plan on doing a 20x16 section [right where you park the car when you pull in] in anti-slip coating and the rest will be just base coat with flakes.
Im also leaning toward a beige/tan color base.

Here is a quick picture of the newly built garage to give you a visual.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18898[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18897[/ATTACH]

I haven’t used it, but when I researched, the overwhelming response was that UCoatIT >>>> the stuff you can pick up at the big box stores.

I think there are some brands like Sherman Williams that you can pick up at paint stores (not home depot) that are better quality. Did you search, isn’t someone on here a guru on this?

Also check out www.garagejournal.com (but beware)

After 28 days, do yourself a huge favor and duct tape a 2’x2’ piece of a thick black garbage bag in like 4 different areas of the garage and let it sit for a couple days. If there’s moisture under it when you peel it back, don’t paint.

Once you’ve decided it’s good to go, acid etch the floor. This step is a must if you want any success in your floor.

I would shy away from anything water based as they don’t hold up well. Get into a good solvent based epoxy. Mine is from Ameron made by PPG and is called Amercoat 2. It’s $165 for a two gallon kit, which covers about 500sq feet. 2 coats recommended.

he knows his shit.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

he needs a custom title too, isellpaint

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

seriously, hes done a phenomenal job helping people fix their paint mistakes. :tup: to ieatpaint

Im on the GJ Board everyone is localized in the south i need some northern opinion lol

Do SW sell the PPG brand or are u stating that you have it on your floor?
I will do the moisture test tonight. i will do it for every partition lol just to be sure.
i might do that this weekend even though it just over 2 weeks.

Pm me the price you paid for the garage… looks awesome.

fixed.

now is not the time to cheap out on ‘mods,’ I wouldnt use rustoleum on anything of real value.

How much do you think its worth? lol if its within 5k of that you think it is i will tell you the price lol

Rustoleum are in the running with the medium grade epoxy from what i can tell.
It would cost me from medium 200-300$ to $600+ for High Grade, Almost double the cost for the floor when the high grade is not neccessary in a residental application [if it pass the moisture test]

14k… where are you working these days?

JT76 has a thread on here of his. or just listen to ieatpaint

Dam I got screwed on this build then lol if it was for 14k!

I work for Benjamin Moore, not SW. I have the Amercoat on my shelves at our 12 Summer St location. I’m not sure what Sherwin Williams carries, I do know that you have to be very selective as to which store you go to because they have quite a few shitty managers. I really don’t carry any cheap epoxies since it’s never worth it. It’s also worth mentioning that higher end doesn’t necessarily mean more durable. Higher end lays out nicer, is more surface tolerant, is more moisture tolerant etc etc. I would spend the maximum that you can on the floor and get the cheap paint for the walls. You really have to do the floor correctly because when epoxy fails, it is absolutely miserable.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Yeah, JT used the rustoleum oil based and it looks great. I think he only stores his summer car in there though. What’s your garage going to be used for Dave?

what I tried to say basically.

More of a diy car nut guy, and actual garage to store all lawn mower, snowblower, kids item, misc shit, man cave lol etc all around usage. Good point. I guess I was worried about the laying down of the actual product and doing it ibcorrectly lol

i went to ieatpaint, set me up with a tinted sealer/stain and WOW am I happy.

IEATPAINT should be IAMPAINT

I cannot say enough good things about my epoxy floor. Its Rustoleum epoxy shield, solvent based with the solvent based clear. I have abused the shit out of it, one year down and it still is perfect. Dropping shit on it, dragging shit across it, morons leaving pools of brake fluid on it for ~4 months etc. As ieatpaint said, i only park my TA in there and the Heep stays outside. If i were to park a car dripping with salt on it, i would invest in some kind of rubber mat or something to park on during the winter months.

here are some pics:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/Image-1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/1-10.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/P1040029.jpg

oh, one more thing… PREP PREP PREP PREP when you think its good enough, keep prepping.

^^^my friends dad used that epoxy paint with the flakes in his garage which strictly only sees his show cars parking in it, garage doors dont even open in the winter. after about 3 years of use the stuff is coming off in areas.

magnet paint makes a monstapoxy for garage floors. They make and sell thier products no middle man. They also make chassis saver (better than por 15 at half the price) and monstaliner the best do it yourself spray or roll on bedliner.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/

Sherwin williams makes a nice epoxy solvent based paint that holds up extremely well when clear coated.
if you do 2-3 coats of clear, you can easily tell when it’s starting to wear off… then just roll another coat or two of clear on the area where it’s coming off and it’s good as new.

Is it the water based crap they sell at Lowes? Big difference. Like i said, i have put my floor through hell. Wash it out with a hose, good as new!