Mitsubishi Eclipses & others

My step daughter (17) is looking for a car sometime around July. That’s when her probationary period ends (no tickets, grades stay up, basically continue doing what she’s been doing), and we kick in a third of what she has saved, along with a third from her dad, and she will do the remaining payments. She really wants an Eclipse, although a Cobalt or G5 is more realistic. However, we’re at least entertaining the idea and checking insurance, operating costs, etc. Anything to be aware of with the '07-'09 GS models (the 4 cylinder)? Known problems?

This needs to last her hopefully all the way through college, possibly 6 years of it. I think a Civic is a better choice, but we all know what it’s like driving a car you don’t actually like (although isn’t your first car supposed to be crappy and not liked?).

she will be happy with whatever you get her im sure.

Car > no car

biggest thing with the 4cyl eclipse is the maintenance. have seen them hold up well. just check the service on timing belt. usually due around 80-100K just something to keep in mind.

cobalts and g5 are practical and realistic they hold up well.

civics are great cars to drive but seem to have lost its original intentions of being a econo shitbox. they seem to hold their value too well.

i’m still on my first car and look what its turned into

i ended up with a half decent car and rather than having to spend a shit load on repairs it turned into modding a gay ass grand prix

You have a rough idea of the cost to replace it?

We already sat down and filled out a spreadsheet of typical maintenance costs. She was a little surprised by the cost of tires. And thinks that state taxes are “stupid”. :hahano: She’s right.

That is correct Jeff, Eclipses and Cobalts are great girl cars.

speaking of eclipses… anyone ever see a new gen orange eclipse, body kit, dual exhaust, pillar gauges? ive seen it around the west end/noblestown road… anything done to the engine? whoever owns it must be made of money

Get the cobalt, I have put mine through some shit and it’s still holding up great. I have the 2.4 liter with an aftermarket turbo installed. Ive seen used 2.4 SS’s go for 12k or less.

Looks like the 2.2L is the new standard size, hopefully a decent engine.

And there will be no turbo anything. I’m not even going to ask for an insurance quote!

i own a '06 eclipse 4 banger with no problems whatsoever. 76k on the clicker so it is def. driven a lot. only maintence i have done is oil changes and tires, brakes. the timing belt isnt due until after 100k. oil changes are every 7500.

although running 17" tires can be pricey, you just have to look for deals. i run kuhmo’s that i get from king’s super tire that i got for $90 a piece.

Yeah i get my 17 tires for about $65 a piece for fuzion hri’s.

I was talking used. the 2.2 has always been the standard size for the base cobalts and is a good engine. they are all ecotecs.

http://www.blueknobauto.com/results.php3?browse=1&type=MITSUBISHI

Blue knob has a ton of newer eclipses priced pretty well.

:rofl: wait til your kid turns 16…

I watched my sister turn 16 and she was happy at first but after about 4 months she trashed the car and said she wanted something new

Yeah, we were looking at those last week. Where do they get that many 2009 orange Eclipses with 8000 miles on them?

prob buy fleet cars. used as dealer rentals and whatnot.

i know when i worked at enterprise we beat the piss out of them haha if its from a rental company i would stay away

my car was a fleet car, kinda strange too considering the leather and bose 8 speaker

talk her into getting a cobalt s/c or t/c. best bang for the buck and shell be getting respect no matter where shes at. ive got a damn near stock cobalt n/a for my daily driver and cant complain becuase it runs down hondas and has more torque than any 2.2liter i know of. deffinetly a good buy especially with all her financial aid.

A turbo Cobalt? You really think Jeff is going to get her a car faster than his? :rofl:

:eek4::hs::hahano: