Moneh Supplah

Interesting PM. Thought I’d share. Someone tell me why I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

The only thing I know for sure about thoughts on economics is that they’re like assholes…

My take is that Glen Beck is just another alarmist reporter. If what he was saying were true then a cheeseburger would cost $20 dollars, wouldn’t it?

The way I see it is that when the economy collapses the money supply shrinks, you get deflation, and suddenly stuff companies are selling is worth less than it was and companies can no longer turn a profit, they go out of business, fewer people buying stuff means less demand so lower prices and more companies out of business and then more people without jobs and it snowballs. It’s sort of an exponential growth, and why the economy will never be in steady-state, always growing or shrinking.

The consumer price index supports my theory. Despite all this “helicopter money” getting dropped into the economy by bailouts and stimuli and whatever, stuff hasn’t started costing more due to inflation (i.e. diluting the value of the dollar by just making more.) The CPI has actually been stable for the last 6 months.

The government and the federal reserve are actually fighting like hell against deflation so that the snowballing downward I described doesn’t happen. Granted, there’s going to be some pretty nasty inflation once we recover and all the helicopter money takes hold, but it’s better than the economy going into a death spiral.

Another interesting thing to note is that since Nixon took us off the gold standard, the dollar has been inflating but stable. The CPI had some pretty wild swings on the gold standard because we couldn’t effectively use monetary policy (control the money supply) to keep our dollar stable. Now the swings are much less wild.

If I understood it right, part of what won Milton Friedman a nobel prize in economics was his argument that the federal reserve letting the money supply shrink during the great depression significantly lengthened and deepended the depression.

Don’t keep a million dollars in cash because it’ll be worth a lot less in 2011 when inflation starts to kick back in, but who keeps retirement money in cash in a fiat money system anyway? You keep it in real estate, or stocks, or mutual funds, or anything else that has real value and isn’t subject to the dollar’s value.

The good news is that inflation will make our national debt worth less in terms of real value. :mamoru: Stupid Chinese…

That’s my take anyway. I’m sure an intelligent argument could be made to the exact opposite of how I see it, but my interperetation makes the future seem less bleak than Fox’s, so I’m sticking to it.[/quote]

I double checked, and the CPI hasn’t exactly been stable, but swinging between inflation and deflation so there has been no net change since this time last year. I.E. stuff costs the same as it did in January 2008.

I only hope I can take out all of my law school loans before the inflation kicks in. $60-70k in loans, and all of sudden I’m making $200k starting instead of $100k due to inflation. :lol:

Well, labor costs were up 5.7% last quarter, that is usually a sign of inflation starting. But all the people who said we wouldn’t have a recession have assured us inflation is impossible in this environment. I will leave it at that.

I think I’m gonna have to defer to my buddy Keynes on this one, yet again. Gov’t spending is supposed to slack off during booms since everyone is doing OK and build up a surplus. (Clinton) Then in times like this, it’s supposed to spend the surplus to stop deflationary spirals and pick up the slack. Unfortunately, our surplus is long gone so we’re deficit spending, which goes against his ideal model but can be employed if necessary. Otherwise, recessions snowball when everyone stops spending.

Snowballing is a practice in which one partner takes into their mouth the semen of another person, and then ‘swaps’ or passes it to the mouth of another through kissing.

In for vid of rescission doing that.

?

:lol:

lol, better. The banking industry bukaked us all with entitlement.

What? You mean $600bn in spending with large tax cuts on the rich wasting our surplus in reasonably good economic times was a bad idea?

That’s the nut. All that is happening is that we keep moving the bad debt around without addressing the cause of the debt being bad.