monitor question

I’m a bit out of my realm here. I bought a computer monitor today. It’s a 22" Gateway HD2200. it’s awesome and way better than the 16" CRT i had before this.

On the monitor, I have HDMI, DVI, component, and VGA inputs. On the front of the monitor, there is a sticker advertising the Faroudja DCDi chip in it. As far as I know, that’s a video processor used for upconverting/upscaling. What’s the point of it on this monitor? I can understand why you would use that chip in an AVR or DVD player for example, but what is the purpose of it in a monitor?

It may be to convert the 720p input it says it supports on their site, to better fit the native resolution which is higher (@ 1680x1050). 720p out on the Xbox 360 does look quite a bit fuzzy on my Samsung SyncMaster 215TW (same resolution as yours) which has components in it as well. I don’t belive it has any sort of video processor in it for up-conversion, it would probably benifit from one greatly. But now the 360 natively supports the resolution thought DVI/HDMI so its not as much of a concern for me.

an LCD only has one resolution… everything must be converted to that.

whenever you see DVD players etc with upconversion that are doing a job already done by the LCD monitor/TV.

that would make a lot of sense.

thanks guys. i was going to just PM you, but i figured this might be more effective. EDIT: if you could clarify your second sentence it would be great.

sure…

in order to display something which is not the native res. of the LCD panel it must be converted to the native res. All LCD monitors/TVs have upconversion chips to get to the native res. DVD players that advertise upconversion are just doing the job ahead of time. So why bother?? first reason is it’s something new to market the product with. second reason is because if the DVD player has a much better upconversion chip than the display device then it will look better. so if you have a cheap monitor/tv then it’s something that will be nice to have assuming the DVD player is not worse than your TV.

i see what you’re saying. i was just confused by the way you worded it originally i guess. i’ve got some more questions for you regarding what you just said, but i’m going to save them for when i’m more sober. thanks man. :tup:

DCDi is a video mode algorithm that stands for Directional Correlation Deinterlacing. It was designed for video based material like fast-paced sporting events. Its purpose is to eliminate jagged edges (jaggies) along diagonal lines caused by interpolation. If you remember, you are not simply weaving together two fields of video that match, you have to create new information through the art of interpolation which is really a fancy way to say you are guessing. DCDi monitors edge transitions and fills in the gaps. The technology was introduced a few years back in the digital format translator, a $50,000 system that broadcasters like CBS use to upconvert NTSC to HD. It was/is used to upconvert standard definition material (480i, what we have on conventional TV) to enhanced definition quality (480p). You may already being enjoying DCDi today on your digital T