More computer help...

I have been working on this for awhile and I’m out of ideas. My desktop was infected with some virus. My subscription to Norton ran out, and in the next few days before I installed esnet I was infected. Esnet deleted the virus, and the computer seemed fine. The next time I turned the power off, and back on It won’t start up. It was loading windows, but would just keep restarting. I have tried booting from the windows cd, but it doesn’t read the cd on startup. I tried all the options under the f2 screen with no results. Now the computer doesnt even try to load windows, it just keeps restarting. I have important files on the hard drive that I need, so I really don’t want to reformat or scrap it, but it seems like thats my only option. Anyone have ideas?

Try booting into safe mode and running the virus scan.

When the computer starts booting up just keep pressing F8 until it beeps at you.

If nothing works you can always put the hard drive into another system and use it as a second drive and move any files you need off of it.

1. Should have backed up your important files…They can’t be too important if there isn’t another copy.
  2. Get a real virus scanner use nod32 torrent is here http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1127630/199684/

nod32 is what I updated to. I have files for work backed up but I am trying not to lose the last 10 hrs of work on an autocad dwg. So I guess my files on the hd are gone… I tried all of the above, but I am no computer expert

I can get it sorted for you, and save your important data.

Sounds like your windows is hosed. If you can get me the workstation, I can take a look at it for free and see what it takes. I charge usually $40 for service work. I can get the computer up and running again as well as save all of your documents/music/pictures.

If necessary I can also reinstall windows for you, get the drivers all sorted, and get the files I recovered back into the new installation. All you will have to do is reinstall your autoCAD software and whatever other software you want.

If it is autoCAD 2004 or 2006 I think i might even have those installations to do for you.

i’d use a livecd to get at the files and back them up onto either another system or usb drive, then reformat the machine

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to give it one more shot. Baldy, I will shoot you a pm if I can’t figure it out.

g/l man

Pull out harddrive… put in external. put needed files on someone elses laptop.

Sounds like you fucked the mbr. Can you get into the recovery console? If so you could fix mbr with bootcfg.exe manually or the fixmbr command. This will at least get you back into winders…

All you need is a windows disc…

I have tried booting from the windows cd, but it doesn’t read the cd on startup.

It sounds like he isn’t doing right. If it reads the disk you should be able to boot from the disc.

boot priority?

pretty much i think he is fucking that part up.

Thats a good deal.

Thats what I would charge for similar work…

Should take an hour or so…