More Group Policy questions

How do you add a simple shortcut to a startup folder?

Like, i want “winword” to start up on login.

I add that to startup folder.

How do I do that using GP?

I fucking can’t find anything on the interweb, or maybe I just suck at searching.

so you want word to open automatically on logon?

No, I want another program, but it is the exact same situation.

i just don’t feel like manually dropping a shortcut on 55 computers.

try putting it in the profile and not the policy, see if that works

Well if I put it in the profile, it would still be one by one, no?

you are sooo launching a keylogger

cant you just set up a start up script and go from there?

Who needs a keylogger - i can read everything they do anyway.

We have one, but sometimes if the computer doesn’t run the script due to a couple things… we still want it to open up. That and our startup script is getting huge as is.

hrmmm… what if a user loggs into another machine… you wont be able to unsure they ahev the startup program without the script running.

That’s fine - we only care about the research analysts… they only sit on specific machines…

I mean, I can just go into all the machines manually (well, from my computer) and drop the shortcut into the all users startup folder. But I want to figure out a way to do this for future reference.

let me test something brb… i think i got it figured out

Man, I fucking suck at Active Directory.

do you have a list of all of the computers on your domain that you want to put the file… cus im leet and i can do it and it fixes the problem if they log on to another computer…

Yes I have a list, they are all in a OU in AD

I think I figured it out… brb, i gotta restart to test :ohnoes:

i can get you a batch file that will push it… however you ahve to have admin rights and no windws firewall on there end…

ok im going to lunch…

use this if you want or i can do it fast for you in excel

cp FILENAME “UNC PATH\C$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\FILENAME”

that should work

i can do it fast for you in excel and shoot you over the batch… just let m ekno… just get me a list of the unc paths of those machines

remember no windoiws or any firewall on there and and you need damain adim rights on those machines

That’s fine, winblows firewall is already disabled, it fucks with too many of the MDSes that we have.

call m e on my cell if you need me for reelz