Need Decent PC Lockdown Software

I have 5 computers in my warehouse that are currently unrestricted desktops. What i need is software that will on startup allow only one program to run (our shipping software). We do not want them to have a start menu, IE, or the ability to even change the desktop background from our logo. I also have to be able to login with my administrator account and have unrestricted access to the entire computer.

any suggestions? Oh, and these guys are not all idiots so it needs to be pretty strong.

If they’re on a domain, just use Group Policies.

Yes, but the domain is controlled from texas and I can’t modify that side of it from here locally. If I call and ask, they will drag their feet for months!

Oh. That’s no good. We use a desktop lockdown software here but it’s only for a few Win9x machines we have out in the plant. It wouldn’t work on XP. If I find something similar, I’ll pass it along.

EDIT: Apparently they do make a version for XP: http://www.visualautomation.com/securedesktop/index.html

really it seems hypocritical since i am sitting at my desk on NYspeed, but we really want to lock out the internet first and foremost, then the whole desktop as an added bonus!

I understand 100% where you’re coming from.

why? any productivity lost on the internet will be lost 5x over out of spite if you take it away.

I don’t think so. We have given them all sorts of luxuries that most warehouse employees do not get. Most of the guys don’t bother with the internet, but there are a few of our least productive guys that will just browse for pictures to put on the desktop or play with the fantasy baseball accounts all day.

hmm, could be, but in my experience taking away the option to do something, even if they don’t use it much, pisses employees off more than its worth. Personally, ever since they told my team we couldn’t listen to headphones at our desks because they felt we should be “focusing on work” i try to do 2 hours less work a day, and when National Fuel took away my internet that I used for maybe an hour a day, i spent a couple hours a day trying to get around it, then surfing once I did.

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN …”

Step 3. Type in “0.0.0.0” in the address box and “80” in the Port box. Don’t type in the quote marks of course, just what’s inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

Very true. Most locked down systems people waste time looking for ways to get around them.

If you want a quick lock down to remove internet just change the IP settings to a static and remove the DNS servers. Then you still have network access if you need it to local servers.

If you have network hardware access, put a ACL on the router so that IP cant get out or modify the VLAN to prevent it from getting outside the network.

if there that addicted to fantasy baseball they will get a phone with the internet…

you only have control over there (your) stuff, while there at work… anything that is not yours; i.e. there own laptop will be used as they want, however if I did not go on nyspeed so much I would get more work done lol…

You can setup a local policy on each computer…