How to block people from using IE?

Well, the girl I work with apparently is letting her boyfriend come in with her over the weekend and while she’s here “working” (yeah right) he uses MY computer to play on the internet. No big deal except he’s viewing sites like www.hootersair.com, www.bentley.com, www.coyoteuglysaloon.com, etc. which if my GM ever decides to check on the internet usage, will show up under my IP address and get me into trouble. :rant:

So, how can I block anyone except me from using IE? (I have Firefox too, but I don’t think he’s smart enough to figure out that it’s a browser).

I could password protect my whole PC, but for some reason whenever it goes into a screensaver or other “not active” mode it won’t let anyone on our network view my computer (My computer is the only one that does this!) not to mention that sometimes other people have to get on my computer, which means I would have to give out the password to people, which defeats the entire purpose anyways.

How can I keep my co-workers boyfriend off my computer!!! :rant:

Delete shortcuts to IE and firefox and use the run command to open them

ehh

i’d just go in there and go to tools -> ie options -> connections -> lan settings and uncheck automatically config

then check use a proxy and point it at the local machine

127.0.0.1:8080

then shit won’t work!

hammer

my way > *

mainly because firefox will still work and ie will be inoperable!

but I need to use IE for some things too! (Like launch.yahoo.com which doesn’t work w/ Firefox at all!)

If I create a new user on my computer, will IE settings be different for each user? Or will they be universal for each?

just do what sonny said before you leave for the weekend and then undo the changes monday morning

put the shared files that other people need on another computer and make sure you log out of yours before you leave.

you can setup a new user

go to start run then type gpedit.msc

then you can open that up and click down on the user settings and modify the administrative template -> windows components -> IE

on a per user basis

also, you can just change that proxy setting (uncheck it) and reopen IE to get it to work for you.

or rename the .exe to iexplore2.exe or some shit!

hmmmmm, that sounds OK… I could make a “guest” user that has the same files and stuff as my Administrator user, looks exactly the same, but the IE won’t work. Log myself out on Friday, and password protect the Administrator user so that he can’t login (only give our admin here the password). He’ll have to pick the guest user, and IE will default to a page I set that says “haha, can’t use me”. This is great. :smiley:

http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/womeninternet.jpg

god do i love opportunities to use this picture!!

Then I’ll have to do something else for my OTHER computer… sheesh. I can’t logout of that one because it runs our database software for 3 users.

Funny, but usually it’s Mike telling me “Get back on the internet and finish our website!”

i know jenn…im just playin!

Hey, my computer won’t let me set my second user as “Limited Access”… (And I can’t delete the user either) WTF?

the solutoin is simple… just play around or ask more specific questions on group policy if need be.

you can also reg hack it for only admin users and make a guest account or any account iwth power user rights, then it won’t work.

becareful with the ‘guest’ account built into xp though… there are specific settings in the local policy to restrict internet access.

No, this would be “guest2” which I renamed from something else, but I only want it to have limited access, and I can’t change the settings on the “guest2” account. I’m not fooling with the default guest IE account.

couldnt you just ask the guy not to fuck around on your computer? Or make your admin aware that its not you that is visiting these sites?

reboot would be required after changing a username on the computer, before you can make changes to permissions.

:blue: