Morel Mushrooms

Anyone hunt em this year? I kind have gotten into it this year, they are amazing mushrooms to eat. Anyone ever try em?

Never heard of them. Enlighten me…

x2

Mark … Is that what they call “Pinkys” as well? … Or is that a different one?

They are a really rare mushroom… they sell for up to $100/lb wet to $300/lb dry. The chefs up at Nemacolin will buy them off of you, if you wish to sell them. They destroy portabellas, they also only grow for about a month in the spring. They should still be up for another 2 weeks. They are ugly as sin, but taste unreal.

I usually stuff them with sausage or crab meat or you can just saute them in butter. They are considered a delicacy. They also only grow in a few states, PA being one of the biggest. Like I said before, if you look at them you wouldn’t think they would be editable at all… taste one and you will be hunting them the next day!

They really only grow by dead elm trees (naturally dead, not cut down ones) and they will grow by apple trees and old apple orchards. All of the ones I found were growing by dead elms.

Here is a picture.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/sp71supra/naturefront.jpg

I don’t believe so… but I could be wrong. Im not an expert… but one thing about morels, you can’t pick a “deadly” one… you can easily tell them apart, after you see the picture, you might have noticed them quad riding, etc… but just passed them up thinking look at that deadly ugly looking thing, lol

Mark,
Definitly not a “pinky” … LOL

Wow that thing is ugly!! … I have probally seen them, but honestly Im not sure if I recall seeing it.

“pinkys” are found in pasture fields, and look more like a button head.

Do you sell them at all? … Or just hunt them for yourself?

The edible copper.
fuck work me gunna hunt fo sum shrooms.

they are so good…and so expensive

I just hunt them for myself. I was out looking yesterday, but only found like 3 dried up ones. They are extremely rare… but if you look, you can find em.

:yum: :yum:

mushrooms taste like bad breath

and your opinion means?

Im half tempted to go look for some and sell em lol

Hmmm … Your making me want to try some!

haha, mushroom hunting…

there was actually a decent sized article in the paper about these things today…

i like sheeps head shroms

I’ll keep an eye out if I’m in the woods. Ever find any truffles? Those things are worth a ton.

I am going to head out today on the Rhino after work! There is only about a week left or so… then there gone!

I saw a show on the travel channel about them, there is a lookalike that is not good to eat, i think the stem on the lookalikes are solid while on the real ones the stem is hollow, i think… dont take my word for it

Yeah I recently seen that, but you are right, they are hollow, even the stem. If its solid, its not a moral. I guess thats one thing I left out. I went out with a friend that has been hunting them for the last 5 years or so. Once you see a real moral in person, you can’t mistake it.