Most Safe & Most Dangerous Vehicles

I am sure the “stereotypical driver” for the vehicle comes into play as well as the design/quality of the vehicle.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4024763&topart=pickups

Lowest rates of driver death
Fewer than 20 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years for 2001-2004 model year. Make & model Rates per million
Chevrolet Astro 7
Infiniti G35 11
BMW 7 Series 11
Toyota 4Runner 13
Audi A4/S4 quattro 14
Mercedes Benz E-Class 14
Toyota Highlander 14
Mercedes-Benz M-Class 14
Toyota Sienna 17
Honda Odyssey 17
Lexus ES330 18
Lexus RX330 18
Toyota Sequoia 18
Honda Pilot 19
BMW X5 19

Highest rates of driver death
More than 140 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years for 2001-2004 model year. Make & model Rates per million
Chevrolet Blazer (2 door, 2WD) 232
Acura RSX 202
Nissan 350Z 193
Kia Spectra (hatchback) 191
Pontiac Sunfire 179
Kia Rio 175
Chevrolet Cavalier (2 door) 171
Mitsubishi Eclipse 169
Dodge Neon 161
Pontiac Grand Am (2 door) 160
Chevrolet Cavalier (4 door) 150
Ford Mustang 150

The full Ratings and recommendations for more than 200 vehicles, along with the latest information on thousands of other products and services, are available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers. Find out how to subscribe today.

I’m not suprised. Good find.

Exactly, the kind of people racing around in Eclipses and RSXs is much different than those rocking G35s, 7 series, and X5s. But the crash safety of the cars that rated well is probably pretty good all the same.

Some 4WD vehicles did better than their 2WD counterparts, which might reflect the lower center of gravity of some 4WD vehicles.

That or the people realized the only way to get any money for a 2wd SUV, is from the insurance company.

4 door Cavalier death trap FTW.

Amazing that the Chevy Blazer was at the top of the list of the most, but yet you always here about the Ford Explorer deaths…

I think the driver plays a bigger part in this than the vehicle does.

Why aren’t there any stats of how many fatal crashes the drivers caused? Just how many killed themselves…

Explorer deaths = tire failure, Firestone Fiasco
Blazer deaths = driver error, sooo prone to roll. Ours wanted to roll around every corner. Teh worste.

:rofl:

good find

Im not starting anything but did anyone else notice 8 of the 12 death cars were domestics, but only one domestic on the safe list?

G35 on the safest list, 350Z on the most dangerous. Clearly the “typical” driver plays a big role here (yes, I know the G35 is heavier, has a slightly longer wheel base etc. adding to safety, but it’s the same basic car).

-TJ

very interesting good find

how many people drive a cavalier as compared to the a4 / s4? i can see more poeple driving the cheaper cars as opposed to the more expensive ones. also younger people tend to drive cheaper cars…

good find

i’m suprised the Alero’s didnt make the worst list…

It list the stat as “deaths per million cars registered.” I assume they extend the #s out to “estimate” death per million for those cars which don’t have over a million registered during that time period. Therefore, the smaller the number of registered vehicles the less I would trust those extended numbers though.

The point about younger ppl is a good one though, and probably plays into the DRASTIC difference between G35 and 350Z deaths per mill.

-TJ

there is like 10 times as many stangs and cavaliers and even eclipses than any of the low rated cars…hence a greater chance of death in those cars lol

Gee I wonder why the f-body isn’t on there :kekegay:

sorry your wrong that was all caused from no one checking there air pressure which is the reason why every car built after sept. 2007 has to have some sort of air pressure monitoring system which will be either direct (small monitor either at valvestem or banded to wheel) or indirect (registers wheel speed through your abs system)

all of this is going to turn into more costs everytime you install new tires which means ill be :idb: everyone even harder :rofl:

I have the tire pressure monitors on the corvette and its a pita because none of the regular tire shops will touch them, so you have to take it to the dealer to get them recalibrated with every new set of tires. Now I just buy the tires online and take it to the dealership and have them do it all. :rolleyes:

i drive a death trap, oh noes.