Motorcycle HID ?'s

I really want to instal HID’s on my 636 before summer comes. Now I’ve been searching around for kits and what not, but i know very little about them.

Currently with the split headlights, the left side is my running headlight, the right side is my bright.

What i want to do…

Both headlights on for running lights, and both headlights used as my brights. All in HID setup. But my problem is that there is one bulb in each headlight. So unless i customize something, it probably wont work.

So my question is this, i found a kit on a few sites and ebay. Do these look legit? Again im asking because i dont know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-KAWASAKI-ZX6-R-ZX6R-ZX6RR-636-HID-LIGHTING-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ170087751979QQihZ007QQcategoryZ35598QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, motorcycle peeps, is there a way where i can do what i want? Or am i shit outa luck. Ive searched forums and havent found anyone who has done this with the 636’s.

Thanks

What about xenondepot. I know dmoffit knows the owner, and its just in TO, I’m sure they have some sweet kits.

aaronwilliams had the same bike as u with HID’s… both bulbs are the same so go high on one side and low on the other that way u do not loose the function of ur high low switch… btw… the look amazing on 636’s

You are shit out of luck.
There is a way to do it but I doubt you are willing to spend over $500 to get it done.

^^ Aren’t most decent hid’s at least 500 for the ballasts and bulbs anyways?

not really. You can get a oem setup for under 300

are the lights projector style? and is therw a cut off? i dont know a ton about hid’s but i know without a cut off they can be very annoying/dangerous for other drivers on the road.

on most cars the low beam will have a cut off but the high beam doesnt, so even if u ran them both at the same time they wouldnt look the same.

what i think id look into try doing would be to wire it up so both will be on at the same time for lows and u just dont have highs, just make sure u get a cut off for the side that was originally the high beam.

[quote=“originalsin,post:7,topic:25422"”]

are the lights projector style? and is therw a cut off? i dont know a ton about hid’s but i know without a cut off they can be very annoying/dangerous for other drivers on the road.

on most cars the low beam will have a cut off but the high beam doesnt, so even if u ran them both at the same time they wouldnt look the same.

what i think id look into try doing would be to wire it up so both will be on at the same time for lows and u just dont have highs, just make sure u get a cut off for the side that was originally the high beam.

[/quote]

Yeah they can be dangerous if aimed improperly. I get flashed all the time for my fog lights because I think the left one is aimed a little high.

hey shrive you might be in luck i can hook you up with a complete 1 oem hella gen 3 ballast, bulb [has a cracked ceramic sheild but fully fuctionaly] and a audi a6 projector lens, if you want to do it right this is the way to go, retro it!!!
im asking $140 for everything let me know thanks.

ot; i think i’m gonna see how the wiring is routed; im putting track plastics on my 636, so I might just cut the headlight in half and run just the low beam

[quote=“Coldaccord,post:10,topic:25422"”]

ot; i think i’m gonna see how the wiring is routed; im putting track plastics on my 636, so I might just cut the headlight in half and run just the low beam

[/quote]

wouldnt it be easier to buy some piaa fogs or something?

I had fogs on my r6. they sucked. any info on a fog light bright enough?

welll i didnt necessarily mean fog light, because the beam on a fog is NOT* very spread… id check stuntlife or something similar since they constantly run streetfightered bikes…

for what he wants to do he would need to retrofit a bixenon projector assembly into both sides of the headlamp. That is the only way you will have hid highs, lows, and both lamps lit. Its might be doable but it will cost $$. There is also the cost of sacrificing the stock headlamp assembly which is probably in the neighborhood of $350 unless you can ebay a donor for cheap. The key is the depth of the headlamp assembly and how much room behind it. Most projectors are upwards of 6" long

I can do it for you if you are willing to lighten your wallet.

I have the projectors from the last model r6, separate of their housings

[quote=“Violator,post:14,topic:25422"”]

for what he wants to do he would need to retrofit a bixenon projector assembly into both sides of the headlamp. That is the only way you will have hid highs, lows, and both lamps lit. Its might be doable but it will cost $$. There is also the cost of sacrificing the stock headlamp assembly which is probably in the neighborhood of $350 unless you can ebay a donor for cheap. The key is the depth of the headlamp assembly and how much room behind it. Most projectors are upwards of 6" long

[/quote]

this is what i figured. the chances of the assemly fitting perfect is probably a long-shot too,and i wont be happy with it unless its perfect. Im thinking keeping the single bulb setup thats in it now is the way im going to go.

Next question, is the link i have in the original post a complete setup for what im looking to do?

Preferred brand?

Im willing to pay top dollar for the best HID setup. I dont like cheaping out

[quote=“Willybeen,post:3,topic:25422"”]

aaronwilliams had the same bike as u with HID’s… both bulbs are the same so go high on one side and low on the other that way u do not loose the function of ur high low switch… btw… the look amazing on 636’s

[/quote]

probably the way im gonna go.

whats the best kit?

actually I thought of another solution. You can replace the height adjuster on your current lamps with a solenoid that will switch between up (high) and down (low). You could make it mechanical as well

details on the part i would need?

if i did go that route, it would have to be where my high/low beam switch would still control that, which i think would be able to work…

Make a new Lexan covers, grab two hella BiXenon’s and stick them behind covers, call it a day :wink: