Moving Datacenters

Just wondering if you guys used anyone to move your shit from one place to another…?

We had some weird mexican guys come in. They moved EVERYTHING but did none of the disconnect, hook up work.

We have one coming up…not looking forward to it at all.

I moved the most critical server at my old job in the back of my old Ranger. Everything else went via some “Joe Bob’s moving company” who I wouldn’t have trusted moving the shit in my garage, much less my IT company.

I have actually done all the stuff properly for a company who hired me on the side. Me and a friend went in, they paid us for the travel, the boxes and packing materials and such. We ended up boxing up 12 servers, few network devices, cables, etc. and moved them and connected to what they needed.

Just was a few cabinets in the Frontier datacenter in Rochester. Hardest part for the company was to have us get access to the datacenter.

Make sure they have the proper insurance if you use someone…

A lot of regular moving companies can’t/won’t touch high end IT stuff.

Ya. Regular moving companies sometimes think a server is like a couch and can just pile them in their trucks. Sitting outside some datacenters watching people load and unload servers kinda amazes me.

Rubicant and robhimself plus 3 other guys in a penske moving truck. worst weekend ever.

^ I bet the truck smelled like sex after besides.

I see this on a daily basis since we own our datacenters (and quite massive at that), most of our clients will just place entire rack on a pallet, secure the pallet, wrap with non see through cellophane, then schedule for truck pickup as mostly all of these companies have their own haulers.

Anytime I’ve helped with small server stuff it’s as simple as shut off equipment, place in car, drive to other site, and load it yourself into other rack.

On the colo side of things typically a customer will mail the server/rails, and then the rest is setup on the colo providers side.