muahahaha, i cant wait

QUOTE=DZeckhausen;2461338]We’ve known for a long time that StopTech was developing a carbon ceramic rotor option for their big brake kits. Last month, the 700hp Callaway C16 Speedster was introduced at Pebble Beach and it featured the new StopTech ceramic brakes. Our turn to try these came just two weeks later, when we received a set for evaluation on a BMW E46 M3. This is a very big change in technology. Rather than using chopped carbon fibers, it’s made from a continuous fiber. This makes the StopTech rotors stronger than ceramic offerings from companies like Porsche, and less prone to oxidation - meaning they are more track friendly. We received four 355x32mm carbon ceramic rotors, mounted on billet aluminum hats and special brake pads in street and race compounds that are compatible with the exotic rotors.

First impressions out of the box? These are very strange looking rotors. They weigh only 9.6 pounds (including hats and hardware) and they don’t feel real when you hold them in your hands. They feel more like those plastic rapid prototypes that you have made on a computer controlled milling machine to see what a 3D version of your product is going to look like when it’s done. But these are the real thing and they are supposed to stop the car! Of course, the first thing we did was weigh them.

StopTech 355x32mm iron rotor and hat weigh a combined 16.8 pounds (2.2 pounds less than stock)

StopTech 355x32mm ceramic rotor and hat weigh a combined 9.6 pounds (9.4 pounds less than stock!)

The test car had already been upgraded to a 4-wheel StopTech kit a couple of years ago, so we decided to take advantage of the chance to swap the 4-piston front calipers for the new ST-60 6-piston calipers. What the heck? We were pulling the calipers off anyway and I had a few 6-piston kits in inventory.

The ST-60 calipers dwarf the ST-40 calipers

So off came the ST-40 calipers and iron rotors and on went the carbon ceramic rotors.

New brackets were required to mount the ST-60 calipers.

Then the calipers were mounted and the front brakes bled. This was not a difficult swap.

Next, it was time to swap the rear rotors.

After bleeding the brakes and putting the wheels back on, it was time to take the car out on the road. I had no idea what to expect. I thought there would be an abrasive feel between the pads and the rotors. And I thought it would make some strange noises. It did neither. Braking was completely smooth and totally silent. The initial bite for the first few stops was terrible, but it quickly improved, especially after the first bedding session. After a second bedding session, the bite was better than it had been with the Axxis Ultimate pads and the iron rotors. This is very nice.

What’s even more interesting is the effect of removing such a large amount of rotating mass. From the previous StopTech rotors, we shed more than 36 pounds of rotating mass. This is a difference you can feel in the way the car handles, accelerates, and brakes. I can’t wait to get a set of these on my SRT8 (15" StopTech BBK) and my 540i 6-Speed (14" StopTech BBK).

I waited two full weeks before posting anything, to see if there were any issues. No noises cropped up and the brakes continued to feel better as the miles racked up. Unlike the Porsche PCCB system, these don’t squeal when cold. And StopTech tells us these are better than the Porsche system at the track. We’ll see. StopTech sent us some track pads to try out, so the plan is to hit Lime Rock or Watkins Glenn in the next month or so and see how these feel at the track. I’ll report back after the track sessions.

Here’s a parting beauty shot:

[/QUOTE]

Shit… those are some nice rotors…

I could use some new calipers too… :confused:

those are pretty fuckin sweet. too bad they probably cost more than my honda is worth. :redface:

Price?

I kinda think wearing gloves while working on your car is gay…

Unless you have bad allergys and need to whip your eyes

THis is very interesting in all but:

1. Will this be streetable?

2. How much?

3. Will the cost be such that it isn’t streetable?

I can see a Time Attack car using these no question (or a track car for club racing, etc.). Other than that there is no reason to use these things.

Nice…
Doesn’t StopTech’s Zinc rotor brake system go around $5300.00 & I think the entery level is around $2000.

[quote=“Rx3,post:6,topic:35282"”]

THis is very interesting in all but:

1. Will this be streetable?

2. How much?

3. Will the cost be such that it isn’t streetable?

I can see a Time Attack car using these no question (or a track car for club racing, etc.). Other than that there is no reason to use these things.

[/quote]

why wouldnt it be streetable? the porsche system certainly is…

price i havnt seen yet, but im not sure

stoptech is making these for consumers not race teasm so id imagine ur looking at ~750-1000 per

im not 100% interested in them for brake fade, more so for light weight, as dropping ~40lbs of unsprung weight would be awesome!

if the rotors i have now cost ~350-500 per wheel and i have to replace them every 2 years, going ceramic for 2x the price and 4-5x the wear resistace will be worth it

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:5,topic:35282"”]

I kinda think wearing gloves while working on your car is gay…

[/quote]

Consider me a fag then

Anyway, these look sweet, but need more feedback on them before I would ever purchase them.

nice. Being a stoptech dealer I will probably get like 10 emails about this

[quote=“POOPRA,post:9,topic:35282"”]

Consider me a fag then

Anyway, these look sweet, but need more feedback on them before I would ever purchase them.

[/quote]

well done sir, i dont think i would full be able to use them… on the street.

Look and sound nice… and I guess they would help you not go off track again at the next track day, so :tup:

[quote=“Anonymity,post:11,topic:35282"”]

well done sir, i dont think i would full be able to use them… on the street.

[/quote]

the car will stop/handle and accellerate A shit load faster taking 36lbs of unsprung weight off the car…

I predict zero change in viper’s lap times with carbon rotors :stuck_out_tongue:

removing weight from the rotors is not as noticeable as removing weight from the rim.

Stopping distance…? before and after… probably not any change.
Expensive weight savings.

Jeller

haha, nevermind… got pricing

[quote=“DZeckhausen”"]

I’ll try to answer all the questions that were raised last night. If I miss any, I’m sure you’ll let me know. :wink:

The carbon ceramic rotor upgrade is available now for any existing StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade with any combination of 332x32mm, 355x32mm, or 380x32mm rotors. The upgrade consists of four rotors in the appropriate sizes, mounted with special hardware to new AeroHats. It also includes street pads designed to work with the carbon ceramic rotors. The price is $9,995 for the upgrade. (Expensive, but still significantly lower than the cost of the Porsche PCCB option.)

The rotor upgrades are sold in 4-wheel kits for the same reason Tire Rack sells Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires in 4-wheel sets. The friction levels are very different from traditional iron rotors and conventional brake pads. So they cannot be mixed and matched. No 2-wheel upgrades.

Expected rotor lifetime for a street driven car is in excess of 150,000 miles. These should last the life of the car. I do not know how long the rotors will last under heavy track use. I’ll look to StopTech for some data on that, and we’ll be inspecting our set closely after we track it.

StopTech is also offering complete 4-wheel big brake kits for most of the applications for which they already offer a “traditional” 4-wheel kit. The carbon ceramic kits are currently limited to 32mm thick rotors in 380mm, 355mm, and 332mm diameters. Additional rotor sizes may become available in the future. These kits will typically use ST-60 front calipers (6-pistons) and ST-40 rear calipers (4-pistons) and will cost $14,995.

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the ST-60 calipers. I’ve had a set on the front of my 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 for over a year and we just upgraded the M3 from the ST-40 to the ST-60. It’s a beautiful caliper with very nicely machined pad abutment plates inside to retain the pads without allowing them to dig into the aluminum caliper body. Here are some shots I took during the M3 upgrade. I was too excited about installing them on my SRT8 to take any good photos.

Getting back to the Ceramic rotors, let’s talk about the weight reduction some more. The weight alone doesn’t tell the entire story. It’s the distribution of that weight reduction that really matters. For example, let’s say you replaced the rotors on your M3 with Euro floating rotors. Those weigh a couple of pounds less per rotor. But the weight savings is coming from the aluminum center, which is very close to the hub. If you could save the same amount of weight further away from the hub, say from the tires, it would be much more important to the handling and acceleration of your car. (A reason why I like the Michelin Pilot Sport tires so much.)

In the case of the carbon ceramic rotors, you’re shaving weight from the friction ring, which is further away from the center than the hat. So you’re getting a very big reduction in polar moment of inertia. The further away from the center of mass you can shave the weight, the better off you are. This is why the carbon fiber roof makes such a difference, since it’s as far from the car’s center of gravity as you can get. Shaving the same weight by installing a racing battery, lighter seats, or losing that paunch will have less of an impact on the car’s handling, because that weight is located closer to the car’s center of gravity.

[/quote]

yeah… 15k? no thanks

At $10k, that isnt any cheaper than PCCB’s. Audi and Benz have both recently released options, and Hawk is developing too. I dont expect to see a realistic price drop until 2-4 years from now. Let me know when they get down to $500 or under per rotor.

Balls thats a lot of $ for some brakes.