My 1966 Chevelle Project

I have been looking for a 66 Chevelle for about a year now. I’ve wanted one for a while partly because I love the body style and partly because my dad had one as his first car, a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 (375hp) with the Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed.

So a week or so ago, I found a damn good deal on one in Binghampton.

It’s an original panel, clean 136 car (Malibu V8). It’s pretty basic with bench seat, a 283 and powerglide transmission. But not for long. It also included a complete engine and transmission from a 1968 Chevelle, a 396 (325hp) carb to pan, and a turbo 400 transmission.

I’m going to be building it as the Buffalo Motorama Chevelle and display it at my show for 2-3 years with different upgrades and custom tweaks.

Plans are to keep it somewhat original looking and restomod. Building the 396 to about 400+ hp, the turbo 400 or a 4 speed overdrive trans, different rear end, suspension, brakes, and drop it. Paint will be like the original 1966 color Madiera Maroon Metallic. Then a custom interior.

Here are some pictures from when I got the car. Currently we are repairing a rear main seal leak and a slipping transmission to drive it for 2 months then start the build.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23874[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23873[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23875[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23872[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23871[/ATTACH]

Rear window red tint was the first thing to go as well as the Ain’t Skeered stickers. Radio is hiding in glove compartment too.

wow tht thing is clean as can be! love the old chevelles my dads got a 69 SS

Sweet car! If you ever need me to quote any of your classics for insurance, let me know!

About time you posted this. I can’t get over how clean the sheet metal is on the floors and trunk.

Hell yes!

Nice chevelle!!!

Man, this thing would be awesome if it wasn’t RWD!

My grandpa did a frame off 65 with a 327. It was my favorite car of his.

What rod/stroke/pistons ratio are you doing for your 396?

Mines 3.875 stroke, 6" rod, and 1.062 piston

Some guys do 5.85 rod and 1.125 piston for heavy nitrous use.

Ill send you photos of klispies block clearnce job when its back

Joe is talking about a big-block 396, not a small block. It won’t require any clearancing.

454 or go home

Not that I’m a purist, but the 396 was the big motor for the 66 Chevelle. Not going to be built as a drag car, more for pro-touring and some fun rides with power when I need it.
My 69 Camaro has the 472 and plans are to sell that and go for a supercharged LS motor over the winter.

Rob just needs shit to be stupid fast and ridiculous. Pay him no mind.

My uncle had a 1971 chevelle Ss 454 god that thing screamed, not to mention he had about 10k in just the motor. I love chevelles deff nice cars!

Dart Block, or go home.

That chevelle needs a big block. that motor looks so small in that massive engine compartment.

meh. another fairly common car. no care.

looks like a pretty clean start for a project though :tup:

Love the 66s. I’d like to pick one up eventually.

Very clean looking car! Going to keep it really correct for 1966 and keep it a 396, or punch it out to 402 like the later ones were?

keep the big block in it!!