My car won't start all of a sudden....HELP!

Well here is my problem.

The car drove fine earlier today and last night. When I came home from school I parked it in the garage like i always do. Went out to buy some oil for an oil change with my mom’s car. Got back, wanted to drive the car up on 2 x 4 s in order to fit my jack under there…NOTHING. Turn key, pump primes, radio comes on, everything is ok, Turn key to stat, TICK TICK TICK…

OK, last time this happened (it happens once in a while) it is usually because of corrosion on my battery terminals (especially the gegative one). So i clean off some of the crap, and still nothing.

Multimeter says 12.59 at battery (in trunk), and the same in engine bay.

I try to start again, same shit, ticks are not as strong this time.

I leave the key in the ON position, turbo timer shows 11.7 volts. Then a few seconds later, i hear a relay-like clicking, all of the dummy lights on the dash go dim and the numbers on the TT go nuts showing 0.58 and other shit.

I try again and run to the fusebox in the engine bay, THE EGI PUMP relay/switch/fuse is going nuts. I’ve never heard this before.

10 minutes pass…i have a smoke and go take a shit.

I come back, try again, Now the car has no power, Fuel pump will not prime, TT flashes 0.30V. Battery now shows 12.44 volts on multimeter.

What is wrong?

Starter?

Check the grounds on the starter.

If ok… take a stick or long screwdriver and whack it a couple of times, it might unstick the solnoid. If that doesn’t work, get someone to whack it while you try starting the car.
If that works, you should probably look into getting your starter rebuilt or a different one.

You could also try to bump start the car, but if its something more than the starter… that might not be a wise choice.

… but this doesn’t explain the weird voltages you are getting. Try this starter thing tho, it might be the prob.

I’m pretty sure the starter is fine.

Because it had the same simptoms when it happened before (although not as severe), and cleaning the battery terminals fixed it.

The first time it happened I thought the same thing…starter. But then i cleaned the terminals and it started.

I am 95% sure it isn’t the starter because it seems to be a electrical gremlin.

Say I bump start it, the car isn’t even giving enough juice to the starter.

So i dont know…

Might have to put her away a few weeks early this year… :cry:

Bad ground somewhere.

check the ground on your battery in the trunk where it contacts the car

Problem fixed…I just cleaned the terminals SUPER DOOPER good.

Might have to get a new batter in either case…

anyway thanks for the suggestions.

LOCK 'ER

:slight_smile:

might wanna look into putting some dielectric grease over your battery connection :wink:

Or you could just use some vaseline, works the same.

-Arslan

That’s what Eric’s Mom said last night untill the condom broke…