My compaq laptop has no sound

thats pretty much it any ideas

thanks - john

Audio Drivers?

i know nothing about computers

Windows XP?

Right click my computer - Properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager - Scroll down to audio devices and see if you have drivers installed for the audi device. If not go to compaq website, and do to the support section and I am sure they have drivers available there to download.

Or just go to Start - Control Panel - Sounds and see if you have a device in there too.

Make sure the volume is turned on, or if there is a mute button on the laptop that it is off.

Also check the little speaker in the corner and make sure the volume is turned up, and not muted there. (Also in accessories -> Entertainment - > Sound mixer)

If you double-click on the speaker and get an error then check the above and make sure it’s listed.

Yea throw down the knowledge help desk crew!

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:5,topic:32518"”]

Make sure the volume is turned on, or if there is a mute button on the laptop that it is off.

Also check the little speaker in the corner and make sure the volume is turned up, and not muted there. (Also in accessories -> Entertainment - > Sound mixer)

If you double-click on the speaker and get an error then check the above and make sure it’s listed.

[/quote]

LOL…

Guy-My computer dosent work
Dell ‘Help’ Guy-Is it plugged in?
Guy-… Ummm… OHHHHH, woops…
Dell ‘Help’ Guy-… UGH! WTF… Just GTFO…

Yet, due to the nature of his second post… this response is fully warranted…

Considering this solved a majority of all sound related issue called in when I did do it. And the “I know nothing about computers”, it seemed like a valid thing to suggest.

Also including that he posted no information as to if it was even detected in the device manager, or from any other utility stating there is an active device detected. So starting with the basics/most common ideas tends to be a good place to start. However once I do fully develop my telepathic abilities, I’ll be able to determine a problem and post a fix up hopefully to the satisfaction to yourselves.

Thus solving problems before they can even have a thread started along the lines of, “Hi, I haev a porblem. Wut happen?” even though no real troubleshooting has been performed yet besides trying to play some lame MP3 of the same shitty band they have listened to for months on end. However if I do happen to develop this power, and become an almighty like yourself I could act like I know what I’m doing too, but post no real information to help. However I would have a hard time fitting my ego through the door, and it’s just not an acceptable solution.

But you’re probably right, his computer set us up the bomb. He should just throw it out.

:slight_smile: