My GOD gear oil stinks!

I doubt if I’ll ever manage to scrub myself of this stench. I’d heard it smelled bad but it actually reminds me of a bad casserole that’s been microwaved after somebody mixed it with old motor oil. At least the Redline 75w90 should work better than the 15 year old black sludge that oozed its way out of the diff.

God bless funnels and old garden hose!
B-Wurm :smiley:

Yea first time i changed mine i got a big mouthfull.

I bet it was definatly worse than your experience.

I can’t remember what gear oil it was, but I was changing it on an mx-3, and when you smelled it, it smelled fine for the first second, then you’d unvoluntarily gag from this putrid after-stench that entered your sinuses… it was so disgusting that I had to take back my Mechanix gloves because some spilled on them and I couldn’t get the smell out.

Limited slip additive is a large contributor to that, although I have no idea if your car uses it.

I spilled a bunch on my coveralls when doing my swap. After gagging multiple times, attempting to wash the smell out, and gagging even more I had to throw them out. Soooo gross.

Hahahaha, oh man. Rob, that’s awesome!

Well the oil I put in it has got the LSD additive in it and I’ve got the viscous unit. Not sure if it’ll make any difference.

Well the oil I put in it has got the LSD additive in it and I’ve got the viscous unit. Not sure if it’ll make any difference.

B-Wurm :D[/quote]
Considering the viscous coupler is sealed from everything inside the diff including the oil…It makes no difference.

Yeeeeeeeah. Kinda what I figured.

Yep, I remember that smell when I changed the diff oil in the 240. Ugh…although I didn’t find it pukalicious!

I can’t even smell it anymore, I guess when your around it all day and you’ve worn your fair share, you build up an immunity.

the gear oil I put in my Talon didn’t smell bad (gm synchromesh) but this other stuff had a gaggy aftersmell. I can’t explain it, it just triggers your gag reflex somehow.

gear oil, cv grease and old old old coolant are all up there, # 1 and 3 are by far the worse tho!

2 is the most messy… http://forums.beyond.ca/images/smilies/barfy.gif