My New Computer

I never understood this whole “I need to build some siqqqq system and OC the fuck out of it” and I am hugeeee nerd.

Reasoning behind this?

Q6600/2.4 ghz
2 x 4MB L2 Cache
= $250.00

Qx6850/3.0ghz
2 x 4MB L2 Cache
= $975.00

performance benefit
http://techgage.com/print/intel_core_2_extreme_qx6850_quad-core

yeah, I don’t understand it either. It’s certainly not worth the 10 mins. of tinkering

EDIT: same can be said for modifying cars I guess. Why bother when they run fine off of the assembly line?

Reduced life…Stability issues…Heat issues…

I guess I don’t do anything processor intensive enough to notice a difference…

yea i dont know if im going to OC. if i do it will only be a little

eh, I’m sure 3.0 isn’t going to shorten it’s life by much, if any. Going extreme on it, I totally agree (3.6-4ghz). A lot of people are running 3.2+ on air with no problems

I’ve had no problems running mine at 3.0 since I got it

As for processor intensive stuff, I do a lot of 3D rendering so the time saved on that is definitely worth it to me. Plus occasional audio/video encoding is a benefit as well

Heavy 3D design work; I’ve got complete Aircraft Cockpit models I’m working on sometimes

Hmm

I will have to try this.

you should

not to mention, when the chip isn’t working itself. It’ll drop voltage and multipliers to run at a lower frequency to conserve power and if you do over-do it, it’ll automatically throttle itself down to keep you from killing it.

They’re hard to beat for the price vs performance and 20 mins of research/tweaking/testing