My poor mustang... :-(

Soooo buy waynes and put that in, it will be half the price than a rebuild would be.

Glad to see its running. Keep your eyes peeled for a gray Jetta around town, shits slow you should race it.

I would be surprised if it really was the torque converter, that sounds unlikely (but possible). I will say this, if you continue to drive it with a bad transmission or bad torque converter, there is a good chance that you will end up replacing both in the short run.

He’s been working on it without me (which pisses me off, but whatever) and all I know is that he’s done a bunch of shit, it’s running a hell of a lot better now and shifting fine, it’s just pausing and then throwing into 1st gear.

And… I know my car. If I get up there, turn it on and drive it up the block and it doesn’t feel/sound right, I turn around and drop it back off or bring it somewhere so someone else can look at it.

((Could it be the shift kit?? That’s the only thing I haven’t heard him talk about checking and it seems like that would have been a logical place to start))

Doesnt sound like a torque converter to me. And how do you check an auto trans without ripping it apart?

by guessing steve broh

Oh thanks TDIbro

I’m not the one working on/looking at the car. I’ve been harassing my mom’s boyfriend since day ONE about getting me up there to help so I can learn and start doing this shit on my own but since he’s got it in his head that it’ll be hard for me to get underneath the car… I’m not told when the car gets worked on.

That said… all I know is that he checked the tranny, fooled around with certain things and now it’s shifting fine. I have not even SEEN the car for about a month He says now it’s shifting fine between gears, it’s just hesitating. Don’t know anything beyond that and unfortunately… I don’t even have KEYS to go up there and start it and see.

or you can just sell it to me and forget about all the problems :smiley:

^this kids got jokes…

don’t buy my trans.

Why not now?? lol

There aren’t adjustments or tinkering that would fix the car. He’s bullshitting you. Without taking the transmission apart, he’s doing nothing. If it “shifts better” after he’s done, look for a bottle of Lucas transmission additive or similar nearby, because he probably poured some of that “fix it” shit down the fill tube.

I am willing to bet that Wayne doesn’t want you to buy his transmission solely because you have your head in the clouds (forgive the wording, I am trying to be nice). He was initially offering you an easy out! Your mothers boyfriend obviously doesn’t know near as much as he would lead you to believe, yet you trust him to “rebuild” the transmission?

You complain about lack of time. Please realize that rebuilding a transmission isn’t a 10 minute affair. It involves removing and disassembling the transmission, then replacing bands, clutches, solenoids etc. Expect an entire day on that process alone, whereas a transmission swap would be 2-6hrs depending on skill level. And now we are on to MONEY.

You complain about lack of funds. Rebuilding the transmission is going to cost you more than the $200 transmission that Wayne was offering. I would expect a good rebuild to be in the $500 range. Also, time = money (see above paragraph).

That is all.

P.S. - If you want to learn, and I think you really do, you need to find the time. A teacher would help too, because you wont learn anything useful from your mothers boyfriend.

I know the problem!

Ford circled it!

lol JK

Regular logic doesn’t seem to be working, so I thought I’d try reverse logic.

Forward, reverse, F.B.S.S. and whatever way you want to spin it, it’s still logic… and women don’t understand it.

:rofl

Now that I’m in my new place and settled… I’ve got all the time in the world. I don’t “work” cuz I’m medically retired, so I get a paycheck either way.

Money wise… I just paid $1800 two months in a row for rent (to cover first, last and security deposit) but come July, I’ll be more than set and capable of spending money on whatever the hell I want.

And I have NO problem buying that transmission from Wayne, except when he offered it, I had more things going on besides worrying about my car… like finding a place to live and moving in. Everything’s cool now, the dust has settled and I can put hours a day into working on my car if I need to, so now apparently all I need is to find someone to teach me, cuz at this point the fucking car isn’t worth the hassle.