Mythbusters - Anyone see something that will stop 6000 page threads?

[quote=“badazzss,post:319,topic:37377"”]

oh, i didnt know the rollers on a dyno actively moved? yeah…

[/quote]

uh… I didn’t know that a plane drives its wheels, uhm yeah, did you get the memo

[quote=“66impalass,post:321,topic:37377"”]

uh… I didn’t know that a plane drives its wheels, uhm yeah, did you get the memo

[/quote]

the good ones do! if they have an ls1 there is no conveyor belt ever that can stop that from taking off and doing a siq burnout before it does.

If Chuck Norris was powering the airplane instead of the Engines…

[quote=“97FormulaWS-6,post:323,topic:37377"”]

If Chuck Norris was powering the airplane instead of the Engines…

[/quote]

lets not get hasty here chuck norris doesnt listen to laws of physics. He considers them guidelines…

PS tell your avatar to stop giving me a boner at work.

[quote=“RobHimself,post:47,topic:37377"”]

For what part?

[/quote]

for this:

I say the plane will NOT take off, insufficient airflow over the wings to generate lift.

[quote=“BluBalls,post:309,topic:37377"”]

I still want to see someone try to dyno a plane… you know… strap it down, with the wheels on the dyno then go full thrust.

[/quote]

what kind of plane are we talking about here…

toss an F15 on that dyno… and hilarity will ensue…

[quote=“Karu,post:325,topic:37377"”]

for this:

[/quote]

in that case :rx3:

[quote=“newman,post:281,topic:37377"”]

at an infinitely small increment after the plane has changed forward velocity to V=0+, then wheelspeed is (V=0+) and thus treadmill speed is -(V=0+).

So i think the function is just V(treadmill)=2*V(plane)

but some part of me wants to tend this thing to infinity…

[/quote]

I forget how the wording was, but you’re right based on the wording of the original problem. I posted an explanation in the original thread>

If people don’t get it already watching it on tv will not help.
I honestly think the people that say it won’t take off are joking.

Oh, and the friction of the wheels/tires is negligible so don’t even waste time on that.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:329,topic:37377"”]

If people don’t get it already watching it on tv will not help.
I honestly think the people that say it won’t take off are joking.

Oh, and the friction of the wheels/tires is negligible so don’t even waste time on that.

[/quote]

I really wish they were dude…

Since the only person actually willing to explain anything is Walter, and I am actually trying to understand the kinetics here, I will address the questions to walter.

Walter, is the following assumption correct?

wheelspeed > conveyor speed; plane will move forward
wheelspeed = conveyor speed; plane stands still
wheelspeed < conveyor speed; plane moves backwards

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:331,topic:37377"”]

Since the only person actually willing to explain anything is Walter, and I am actually trying to understand the kinetics here, I will address the questions to walter.

[/quote]

The myth here is the 2nd one you listed, which for right now is correct…until you blast the jet engines. You can match the wheel speed all you want, but the engines are going to propel the plane forward no matter what.

The wheelspeed has nothing to do with it.

Thrust is the key here.

If the belt matches the speed of the plane being provided by the thrust of the engines, it will stand still.

If the thrust of the engines increases the plane will stand still for a moment until the thrust overcomes the friction of the bearings and wheels, then it will move forward, and take off

[/quote]

before you get too far off track, too late - i know, refer to the first post of the thread:

If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off?

a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed

traveling at takeoff speed…belt is matching that

traveling at takeoff speed

i know that you “get it”, but this is to try to steer you back to the question at hand, not the semantics. fwiw

WHEEL SPEED IS IRRELEVANT!!!

Theoretically the plane could even have full brakes applied on the wheels and it will still move forward and take off becuase the thrust is greater than the static friction of the tires on the pavement

[quote=“The_Russian,post:336,topic:37377"”]

Theoretically the plane could even have full brakes applied on the wheels and it will still move forward and take off becuase the thrust is greater than the static friction of the tires on the pavement

[/quote]

Maybe a fighter…

No one said what kind of plane we are talking about.

Im sure even a C5 or B-52 could manage that. SOOO much thrust on tap

you are very mistaken then

[/quote]

Think of it this way.

A free-spinning wheel on a stick. If you move it forward across the floor at a constant speed it will have a constant rotational speed. If you move it across a belt moving in the direction opposing the motion of your hand (at the same speed) while keeping your hand moving in the same speed relative to stationary you, it will cause the wheel to “spin” twice as fast. Regardless of how fast the wheel spins though, your arm, and the stick, are still going to move at the same speed.

Now think of it with a plane.