Navy SEALs punished for secrets breach for video game.

This SHOULD bring out a lot of red flags to how the entire military operates. If a video game company can entice them enough for these sensitive and classified info. Imagine What a foreign country can do to buy these and other type of info from within the organization.

WASHINGTON — Seven members of the secretive Navy SEAL Team 6, including one involved in the mission to get Osama bin Laden, have been punished for disclosing classified information, senior Navy officials said.

Four other SEALs are under investigation for similar alleged violations, one official said Thursday.

They are alleged to have divulged classified information to the maker of a video game called “Medal of Honor: Warfighter.”

Each of the seven received a punitive letter of reprimand and a partial forfeiture of pay for two months. Those actions generally hinder a military member’s career.

The deputy commander of Naval Special Warfare Command, Rear Adm. Garry Bonelli, issued a statement acknowledging that nonjudicial punishments had been handed out for misconduct, but he did not offer any details.

“We do not tolerate deviations from the policies that govern who we are and what we do as sailors in the United States Navy,” Bonelli said. He alluded to the importance of honoring nondisclosure agreements that SEALs sign.

He said the punishments this week “send a clear message throughout our force that we are and will be held to a high standard of accountability.”

The two main complaints against the SEALs were that they did not seek the permission of their command to take part in the video project and that they showed the video designers some of their specially designed combat equipment unique to their unit, said a senior military official. The official was briefed about the case but was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

SEALs, including some of those involved in the bin Laden raid of May 2011, have been uncharacteristically prominent in the news this year.

Matt Bissonnette, who participated in the raid in Abbottabad, Pakistan, but later retired from the SEALs, wrote a firsthand account under the pseudonym Mark Owen, but he landed in hot water with the Pentagon even before it was published in September. The Pentagon accused him of disclosing classified information in violation of the nondisclosure agreements he had signed as a SEAL. He disputes the charge.

The SEAL mission to capture or kill Laden, while stunningly successful, encountered a number of unexpected obstacles, including the loss of a stealthy helicopter that was partially blown up by the SEALs after making a hard landing inside bin Laden’s compound.

The head of Naval Special Warfare Command, Rear Adm. Sean Pybus, responded to the Bissonnette book by telling his force that “hawking details about a mission” and selling other information about SEAL training and operations puts the force and their families at risk.

SEALs, both active duty and retired, possess highly sensitive information about tactics and techniques that are central to the success of their secret and often dangerous missions overseas. That is why they are obliged to sign nondisclosure agreements when they enter service and when they leave, and it is why the Pentagon seeks to enforce such written agreements.

The punishments were first reported by CBS News.

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Source: AP via Suntimes

ive thought about this, and i honestly dont think these SEALS would have givin or shown anybody anything that was THAT important or secretive. They arent dumb guys. These dudes are walking talking killing machines that know several languages and could blend in anywhere in the world. They wouldnt go around telling ppl or video game companies anything that would compromise anybody.

I think its more based on the special weapons “special to their unit” that they showed and were created in the video game. This gives enemies on a direct look on the type of special weapons being issued.

Ok so they got an LOR, not really a hugee deal…and they certainly won’t be losing their careers over it. Like was said, I’m sure what info they did give wasn’t anything too pertinent to the Seals mission/training regiment.

I’ve known many people who have received much worse punishment for way less in the Navy. They should’ve kept their mouths shut and informed their chain of command to find out what, if any, info they could disclose.

Havin played through the campaign, the only thing I could foresee them disclosing was this little R/C vehicle that could shoot bursts of 7.62 and 40mm grenades. Otherwise, I don’t think anything else in the game hasn’t been seen in others. Hell, even that R/C thing has been in other games I’m pretty sure.

It doesn’t matter WHAT they revealed. The fact that anyone in the military shares information about their profession is dangerous and reckless. What makes it worse for these guys is that the SEALs used to be known for keeping their mouths shut (in general, not just classified info.)

this is true. i dont condone this sort of behavior, esp by SEALs.

I’m not saying its ok they did anything, I was just curious as to what specifically was put in the game based on their input. It’s a good campaign though. You can switch from your main optic to a set of offset iron sights and such, pretty realistic.

This.

While they shouldn’t have talked without permission from the powers that be, they certainly are some of the smartest most analytical men on the planet.

The gov is so loose with intel it blows my mind. I used to work with a retired Seal who was a sled tech at a place I worked when I was young… He was very very intemidating, his demeanor and everything about him. He had a loose cannon too, he would get pissed at a machine and get all hulk rage’d, scary shit. Man did he have some stories too. Holy shit. I couldnt believe the stuff he would say. But how would they ever know he said anything to me?? I wouldnt even know the first place to cry wolf anyway if I wanted to get him in trouble or something. I also worked with 2 Army guys that were very high up and active still all around the world. Stories and pics/video of stuff that really made you uneasy.

I dont think its right at all to be that open book, but in reality if some KK in an office shooting the shit can get a hold of classified knowledge, anyone can. Its scary but it is what it is I guess. I mean look on youtube at all the combat video out there. Some stuff you can watch is crazy and makes you think how the hell could they post that and get away with it.

just being in the navy is enough punishment… but seriously these guys are the most bad ass people in the armed forces. aside from being ridicuolously good at their jobs, they are probably some of the smartest people alive, im sure they didnt give away much info that could breach the security of the seals

bah, they’re all assholes.

YUP. a little NJP no big deal…

oh and 1/2 months pay x2…whatever i know people who had worse and have made E-9…