Need cash? Gary Coleman has a 99.25% APR loan for you!

No, that isn’t a typo, and I didn’t put the decimal place in the wrong spot.

A co-worker came in talking about this infomercial with Gary Coleman pitching 99.25% APR loans. I thought to myself, no, can’t be. So I threw “99.25% APR” into google, and what do you know.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/07/10/gary-coleman-pitches-outrageous-9925-apr-loans/

So for their “typical loan of $2600 for 42 months @ 216.55/month” (that’s their words, not mine), you’d only have to pay back $9095.10.

You can get a deal though if you borrow more. They’ll drop it down to 59.95% APR for a $5075 loan, but push the payments out to 84 months. You’d end up spending $21338.52 paying back that $5075 loan.

holy shit.

There’s a sucker born everyday tho…

You would not believe some of the people that I see & talk to.

Illegal rates.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:3,topic:32870"”]

Illegal rates.

[/quote]

That’s exactly what we though. We’ve got tons of experience with banking regulation stuff here at work, and none of us can figure out how they can do this legally.

Interesting fine print here:
“Loans made to residents of California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah will be underwritten and funded by CashCall. Loans made to residents of all other states (excluding Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia and Wisconsin) will be underwritten and funded by First Bank of Delaware (Member FDIC).”

So they don’t give loans in NY and some other states at all, and in some states they have to personally float the loan.

god gary coleman is creepy.

who the fuck would be dumb enough to even ask people if they want this?

I believe it is called usury.
Otherwise known as loan sharking.:biglaugh:

If someone’s dumb enough to do that, they deserve it.

They’re classified as pay-day advances so they don’t fit under typical usury laws…I fucking love this industry it’s taken all the heat of my industry

[quote=“JayS,post:4,topic:32870"”]

So they don’t give loans in NY and some other states at all, and in some states they have to personally float the loan.

[/quote]

i’d noticed that too. wonder where the loophole is.

nevermind.

[quote=“JoesTypeS,post:9,topic:32870"”]

They’re classified as pay-day advances so they don’t fit under typical usury laws…I fucking love this industry it’s taken all the heat of my industry

[/quote]

By law you can only advertise pay-day advances as a fee, not a loan rate. Once you attach a rate it’s not longer a pay-day advance.

We looked into this when we wrote our courtesy pay module for our credit union software. Some CU’s wanted to charge their members a rate instead of a flat fee, but we couldn’t legally add that feature.

Wow, is anyone really going to go for one of these loans?

I just got a 10,000 loan for 150 months at 500 a month !! I’m so excited

That’s actually not a bad “rate” comparatively LOL…

[quote=“Avatar,post:14,topic:32870"”]

That’s actually not a bad “rate” comparatively LOL…

[/quote]

:lol:

:bloated:

stick with currency

ya know whats funny… read the second pic… where it says “credit approval is not guaranteed”

how horrible of a person would you have to be to not get approved for a 99% interest loan

[quote=“AFhockey31,post:16,topic:32870"”]

ya know whats funny… read the second pic… where it says “credit approval is not guaranteed”

how horrible of a person would you have to be to not get approved for a 99% interest loan

[/quote]

Lender: “I see you’ve declared bankruptcy two times”.
Borrower: “Only two… you must be working from an old list”.

InB4DOSsaysIneedmoreturbomoneyanddebt…

Oh I’m sure plenty of people will do it.

So that was what that new Gary Coleman commercial was for.