Need Garage Security? Foscam on Sale at Amazon

If anything, I think they would do a good job of dettering(spelling?) theives. Flood lights, visible cameras, alarm system signs should be enough for them to turn around and hit the next house with none of those things.

I will say this…there is nothing better than when I am on the road for work at a hotel in Daytona and I can check on my house through my phone just to have peace of mind knowing that everything is intact. I mean, come on, we do live in the 10th most dangerous city…:slight_smile:

So I still can’t figure out how to get these cameras to work remotely. I tried fixing them and now they don’t even work when I am in my network.

You have to use dyndns and port forwarding.

I’m an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff. As soon as I change the ports on the cameras I can’t log into then anymore. I tried to change the virtual sever on my belkin router and that didn’t work.

1. Link your ISP side (WAN connection) to a dynamic DNS service. This provides you a static name that forwards your requests to your WAN IP address (which is dynamic and changes). www.dyndns.org is most common or see also www.no-ip.com. Be sure to pick a hostname you’ll remember easily.

2. Now take the internal IP’s your cameras are using (should be set static) and open up different ports for each using port forwarding in your router. Now you can login to the DYNDNS host name with a port # on the end to get to a specific camera.

Side notes: Most home security cams seem to work with IE only & some tinkering is often needed to force IE to allow unsigned Active X. Also, do you leave a computer running all the time? If yes you should run the dynamic DNS client which automatically updates and reflects any WAN IP changes. That way you don’t need to worry about your WAN IP changing and decoupling from your hostname.

Added—
If you asked me to sell an RV I’d be bumbling and sound like an idiot. On the other hand you make money selling RV’s, it’s your niche. There’s no shame in not knowing everything…nobody knows everything. Just like you’re paid to sell RV’s, I can be paid to set this up for you. :wink:

IE only? damn, what’s that all about, we only have macs at my work

Pretty much everything to set them up right here…I was watching my buddies cameras in Louisiana. Pretty cool, slight delay (obviously).

Anyone have night shots of these? What if you have flood lights going at night? Ideally I’d like to mount three of these in my rafters at the house but they are probably 20’-25’ tall. I’d be ok spending more money if I can get a better quality camera.

You could run with an Android or iOS app of course. And I imagine there may be a desktop version of those apps as well…I just never looked into it.
IE blows, be thankful Macs don’t have it. :wink:

http://1saleaday.com/main/

$69.99 each

Bump, see my thread here: http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?236064-Small-Biz-Guys-Office-Depot-on-Elmwood-Having-Huge-Sale&p=3411374#post3411374

They have the $79 & $100 DLink cams with 20% off. These have phone apps too.

Dlink cams aren’t so hot in my experience. I’d steer clear personally.

Are you guys mounting these outside?

The cheapish Foscams…I hope not. If it ain’t built for outdoors don’t put them outdoors IMO.

Yea I was waiting to see what someone said :lol:

I know the ones Holiday valley used have heating systems we wrote a quick script that makes them rotate every 10sec snap a pic rotate snap another to make it seem like they have more cameras.

since a quality heated one is $$$

I can only imagine. PTZ of decent quality are expensive as hell in a standard housing.
Were they wired? Power protected? At Ingram back in the day I had someone on the APC line asking for UPS for cameras in trees to power them…I had a good lul at that one.

I have mine mounted outside, but as I mentioned, they are under the eve of my carport. They really aren’t exposed to the weather, but I haven’t used them in cold weather either.

You might want to reconsider that

Moisture in the air will freeze inside of it.