Security Cameras?

Just a quick question, but does anyone here have any at their house? I saw some at BJ’s, but i was thinking about putting cameras around the house and my dad’s office. Any idea on where i should get the cameras, which ones i should get, and how hard it would be to install myself? Pretty broad question, but i figured no harm in asking.

Wired, wireless? DVR?

i have about a dozen of them around my house although they were here when i bought it…unfortunately the power cord for the recorder unit is missing so i have never had the whole thing up and running…it is a dedicated micros eco9 which i understand is a pretty decent unit…i just need to get around to ordering a new power cord for it…i’ll have to climb up and see what brand the actual cameras are

IMO don’t go wireless, use CCTV or POE IP cameras. Wireless is less secure, tends to be choppy and is more likely to bottleneck your network for other connections.
The BJ’s kits I’ve seen tend to be garbage on many levels. Not enough storage, crappy optics & camera quality etc…
You need to plan out you required camera distance/angles and I can almost guarantee 1 size fits all kits will fall short.
Calculate your storage needs based on the number of cameras and quality of video saved. From there you can decide on a DVR box or designate a computer that’s always running.

good systems for stand alone, i have mine plugged into a 32" tv with 4 cameras. http://www.lorextechnology.com/Home-camera-system-Wireless-home-camera-system/Wireless-home-security-camera-system-with-monitor/1953.p

ive used a few others before. ip etc. But after i tried lorex ill never go back to anything else.

Disclaimers

1. Cameras require a local power outlet.
    2. Only one camera can be recorded at one time. Motion recording is recommended when using multiple cameras for surveillance purposes.
    3. Five pre-loaded scenery images enable digital picture frame simulation when no motion is detected by the camera. When motion is detected, image changes to the camera detecting motion. No ability to upload your own pictures.
  2. Stated IR Illumination range is based on ideal conditions. Actual range and image clarity depends on installation location, viewing area and light reflection/absorption level of object.
    5. Weather resistant. Not intended for direct exposure to rain or snow.
  3. Based on line of sight. Actual range will vary depending on obstructions.

Are they serious with those disclaimers on the LW491? Outdoor but only when it’s nice out? My favorite is that setup only records 1 cam at a time?!?!? I hope they pissed their web developer off and he put those up as retaliation.

I have 6 cameras hooked up to a 8 chan. DVR with a 1TB hard drive for storage. They only record motion and I can honestly go back a few weeks worth. You’ll be fine with a 1-2TB hard drive. My cameras face every direction including one at my front door (showing Mr pizza boy) and another in my garage. All cameras are wired/powered back to the DVR/power unit in a “secret” and secured location. IMO go wired. It can be a PITA to wire them up but its money and time well spent. I couldn’t be more happier with my system. I have had to use it a handful of times, showing neighbors their cat is climbing my car so tell it to get off, shows cops who damaged my property so go get them, looking for delivered items etc.
My favorite is the camera above my door. When people ring the door bell I just pull out my phone and check the camera at the door. Yup, theres a free app for that. DVR is wired to the computer and to the TV. So the cameras can been scene anytime I want (at night while on the PC, change my TV to Video 2, on my phone).
I love my cameras.

If your interested call my guy ( I PMed you)
He will hook you up. Stand up dude.

http://dealnews.com/Foscam-Wireless-IP-Camera-for-63-free-shipping/644014.html
Cheapest I’ve seen yet. Is both wired & wireless…again go WIRED! :wink:
Buy a DVR or computer software a 2tb drive and be done with it.