Need help detailing the S60 R on Sat. 6/6/09...

Who here is good with detailing and would like to give me a hand on Saturday? I’m taking it with the Esprit to a European car show in Victor on Sunday, it needs a nice buff and/or paint detail. I already took care of the inside. PM me or post up if you’re willing to give a hand. Thanks in advance!

Do you have all of the tools/supplies necessary?

No. But I can try and get whatever is needed/required…

er, im confused, which car is getting detailed?

I would give a hand but I have no tools, yet.

If you are looking for something by this weekend you may be out of luck due to time. You might just be able to take it to a Delta Sonic and have them do it :shrug:…IDK.

Post pics of said event.

I’ve got a guy in Tokyo for detailing. Ill call him up in the AM for you. :roflpicard:

Thanks Adam, ship him over for me, haha.

Anyways, what tools are needed? A buffing wheel I’m assuming, but anything else?

I have been looking on autopia.org. There is alot available but bascially you need a good buffer/polisher (Dewalt 849 or Porter Cable 7424 look to be the top), pads (Yellow and Black at a minimum), a good wash, a good polish, and a good wax.

From what I researched:
Wash: Blue Coral
Polish: Menzerna Final Polish
Wax: Colinite 845 or P21S

The Wax and Polish are available at www.detailersdomain.com

Other things are:
Glass: Stoner Invisible Glass (Any Autoparts, Target, even Sears)
Tires: Meguiars Tire Shine
Wheels: Meguiars Wheel Cleaner

If needed; Claybar: Blue Claymagic

When I priced everything up I think all told, including the polisher, it was around 300. The polisher alone is ~200.

I am no means an expert but this is the route I am heading. Maybe someone more experienced can validate what I stated.

JDM detailing ftw lol

porter cable or flex is what you should use. i wouldnt recommend a rotary for a beginner because you could do some damage with a rotary if you dont know what your doing. you need some pads for your pc or flex. you need a claybar, lube for the clay. either soapy water or and instant detailer for that. you need some microfibers also for a scratch free finish. i also recommend using the doulble bucket method to prevent scratches and using a grit gaurd to minimize the chance of scratching. also you need some wax . what are you going for ? a good shine ? durability or both ? . than wheel wax. maybe a wheel cleaner like p21s. metal polish for the exhaust. did i cover everthing ??? probly not because you can never have to much but those are the basics.

oh and a good work light(s) to see any defects in the paint

I think one of the important things is if you planning on buying things local to you, or looking to overnight products and materials. There certainly are some great products you can buy OTC but situation depending there is also significant room to improve.

Also what kind of time are you looking to put in to this detail? Something quick? Or something that you’re dedicating a day to?

Budget?

There are a million ways to go here…

I would have helped you out, but I didn’t see this until today.

I would not recommend polishing more than once a year (and strive for less often with proper paint care). This is from personal experience with my own car.

Also, most people do not need a polisher. oof… I haven’t touched my Cyclo in over a year.