Need help finding new laptop

I’ve been out of the computer shopping scene for awhile and really dont know whats good out there. I got about $1800 to spend and dont want a Mac. I was looking around at Dell and alienware computers but dont really know if alienware is even any good anymore. I want something with a decent HD screen and with enough power to run some games but it will mostly be a movie/music computer.

I really like the HPs…

HP ENVY 17

Components

* • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
* • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics [HDMI]
* • 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
* • No additional security software
* • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 2.5 hours of battery life +++
* • 17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1600 x 900)
* • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support (Slot Load)
* • HP TrueVision HD Webcam
* • Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
* • Backlit Keyboard
* • Corel(R) PaintShop Photo(TM) Pro X3 + Corel(R) VideoStudio(R) Pro X3

http://bit.ly/a9S5zC

Oh $1,300 before any customizing.

Well,Dell owns Alienware so they’re not a bad choice.If you go on HP’s website and go to the ENVY series of laptops they have some real powerhouses as well.

Im not a gamer by any-means, but use my computers for work, But I LOVE the durability of my Toshiba. both my HP and my Dell, hate life regularly something is always not working with them, but my satellite NEVER fails. Ive abused it sooo bad too lol. (if you saw how the case looked you would think my 4 month old laptop was 10 lol)

sorry not great input but just my 2cents.

If i was in the market for a laptop in that price range I’d be all over this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152203

Dell and HP suck IMO they are just too unreliable. I like Asus, and MSI. Toshiba makes great laptops too, but when they do break the parts are more expensive to fix them.

I run a PC repair shop btw

If it ABSOLUTELY cant be a Apple product, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152203 that is a fine machine. The HP ENVY notebooks have very marginal build quality, and you pay a bit more for it to look like a crappy MacBook Pro.

But id still massively prefer a 15" MacBook Pro over that due to superior build quality, battery life, display, trackpad and keyboard, resale value, and warranty.

Regardless, I wouldn’t touch a DELL / Alienware product.

Thats kinda what im worried about ive had 3 Dells and they are great at first but after about 2 years allways seem to have problems. My last 2 the power supply went bad and they connect the power supply to the motherboard so it ruined the laptop. THe MSI looks pretty good, but like i said i been outta the area of computers awhile so i need some imput on what processors are good and what video cards are good right now.

It really sounds to me like you dont need to spend any more than about $600-800 to get what you’re after…

Keep a eye out on slickdeals.net for a good price on a machine thats in that range, and see what people say about it. You can get acceptable hardware for a bit under $1k, above that youre just usually getting a larger, heavier notebook that overheats, gets sub 1 hr battery life, can be loud, and is just a hassle to use for daily tasks.

Ive been looking around on newegg and they got some nice stuff im leaning toward a toshiba and from imput here that seems the way to go. My question now is should i go with the Phenom or an i5/i7 i want a top of the line processor with the most speed possible i dont want something thats gonna be obsolete or not gonna be able to run what i want for awhile. Also whats the best video card right now ive allways had Nvidia so im not sure if ATI is any good everything seems to have a GTS 360m is that whats the best right now?
Also whats the difference between the i5 and i7 should i go with an i7 under 2 ghz or an i5 over 2 ive allways just went with the faster processor but obviously theres something im not seeing, why dont they have faster i7’s if there the best.

That HP is stacked, but I’d stay away from all HP products. I’ve had two that just died for no reason, and the company wouldn’t cover either. Worthless.

i found this at bestbuy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus±+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive±+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729 the hardware looks pretty good but i have no experience with asus and the internals are as good as the $2k+ alienware so it makes me wonder whats really up with them, any input

That’s like the same one I posted…I wouldn’t give Alienware as much credit as you are.

i know they used to be good it seems now there just grossly overpriced thats what i ment by that alienware comment i know Dell bought them and it seems they would rather push their XPS’s. The one you posted was around $1700 the one i posted was around $1300 thats what has me wondering just about all i7 laptops are over $1600 so is their something im missing or are asus’s junk? Like i said, i want this laptop to last.

Envy line from HP appear decent. But for those that refuse to get a Mac… I always point towards Thinkpad, depending on requires Either Thinkpad X series or Thinkpad T series.

asus makes great laptops.

I always go Dell Outlet for my laptops. In my experience the refurbs have better build quality than new, and you can use the money saved to get the 3-4 year @Home warranty where if anything goes wrong they send a guy to your house or work to fix it, no questions asked. Including things like drunk people throwing your laptop across the room and smashing the screen.
Plus, there’s a 20% off coupon there right now on slickdeals. You can get an i7 beast for well under your price range.

that 20% off coupon would be amazing im just reluctant with dells because of past issues i do like being able to customize though.

The warranty should take away your concerns though, I mean I blew a motherboard and they were at my house a day and a half later changing it.

I also like using it because I carry my laptop a bunch of places and it spends time all over my house, it gets scratched/dented. I get all new plastics every year or so.