need help on 01 f4i

im still fightin with this coolin issue on my 01 f4i. i flushed the coolin system, and changed the thermostat. now im at the point where i dont know if its the gauge thats innacurate or something else. the water pump looks like its pumpin the coolant fine, and if you dont ride it for too long, the temps are happy. after you been at one light for too long tho its all over. i just got in from a ride and i was right around 230 for the rest of the trip home. ive read the fan is supposed to kick on around 227, mine doesnt kick on til almost 239. so im not sure if the temp sensor is bad and its really not runnin that warm or if something is wrong with the fan and it is runnin that warm. i need help on narrowing down my problem.

bikes run warm in comuting. as long as i known that bike it never had any issues. as long as fan is working your fine. and if Tstat is working your good.

my bike fan turns on around 220 in traffic and has seen 230

try putting in a manual fan switch. i did that to mine. just take the time to sauder in the connections and make it look clean. the only problem i had was i had an original battery on a 5 year old bike and the fan would drain it faster then it could charge it. so it would have problems starting. but if i had a good battery i owuld have been fine.

My 05 F4i heats up fast as balls at a red-light, but goes down to ~170 if I’m moving for a while. Fan comes on right around 220-222.

It sucks when that fan comes on…gets real hot sitting there.

I’m not sure why the temps vary so much. I mean 220 at a redlight, then 170 after cruising for 10min is a pretty huge change, and that’s what mine does.

Are the 170ish temps part of the reason I never get over 35mpg?

from wat i understand, dont expect much more in ways of mpg on an f4i. i was browsing thru a couple cbr forums. ive never seen one get more than like 40mpgs.

Make sure you have the right mixture of coolant and replace the rad cap. The system is under pressure and if the cap isn’t holding it at the right pressure it can cause issues. Could also be a bad relay/switch on the fan.

when i rode that biek i seen like 45mpg

you get 2x the fuel economy when you’re only on 1 wheel

and weigh about as much as a wet beach towel…

hehe now i put some weight on

I’m only 150, I dunno what’s wrong with mine, 35 is a good tank, sometimes barely over 30.

really 45? so far the best i squeezed out was 41. but, on the ride home from morgantown yesterday, cruising at 65-70 the temps stayed between 185-191 so im guessin everything is ok. its just sometimes at those long lights i get a little worried when i see that damn near 240 mark.

for bikes its normal and the biek of yours always seemed to get warm like your wondering. just be happy you dont have a center mount exhaust

Yeah, my seat gets hot as it is with my stock side exhaust.

Your fan should come on like clockwork at 227, get it checked out.

My fan hasn’t come on in weeks. I don’t think I’ve seen my temp even hit 190 in that time. I shut off the engine at long lights so I don’t have to sweat.