Need help with a '96 Volkwagen Jetta

This girl that im dating is having issues with her Jetta. So what she told me was that just randomly the electric locks stopped working and the alarm went goes off and she cant start the car. So she just let the car sit and the alarm go off by itself and when she came back out of class it started again but she says that her rpm’s are bouncing. Any ideas?

She bought the car a while ago with the alarm already in it and she said it just started doing this randomly. I haven’t had a chance to actually look at it yet.

Thanks

Immobilizer and aftermarket alarm don’t mix well on VW’s…

pics of girl?

anything I can do/look for on the car and try to fix it?

wouldn’t of guessed that was coming :finger:

You should be able to scan the ECU to see what code it’s throwing. (non motor related, in the instrument module, BCU)

I’m betting its the factory alarm and I’m thinking the battery is going out…

x2 we need a better description

that was my first thought but it doesn’t act like mine. if my battery is low the alarm doesn’t go off till i try to start it. and doesn’t shut off till i lock and unlock the doors or pull the battery cable off for a bit. the other thing is it does let me start it when the alarm is going off.

x3

…So that’s where you’ve been.
i thought you moved back to florida :mad:

x2 dick

no no haven’t been seeing her that long…i’ve been working

but anyways update…today she said her none of her gauges would work any more ideas i suck at electrical and don’t know anything but hondas.

thanks again

dude just post a picture…

grounds? Check the main, probably under the battery box, for corrosion. IDK where the rest are in a mk 3 but there is probably one on the bell housing or engine block somewhere, and maybe one by the throttle body.

as everyone else was first thinking, did you actually check the battery? VW’s are very tempermental when it comes to electrical stuff. Could maybe even be a flaky alt and the thing is running just off of the battery at times.

You will never figure it out. tell her to just sell it. its a first year OBD2 VW…what a nightmare

There is a wire in there somehwere you can just short out and it will disable the entire alarm. I have done it before. that information was found on VWvortexx

thanks vdub and joe

Goodluck

I found out some more info that might change the situation a little bit. After talking with her dad I found out that the car is actually a '95. I looked at it a little bit last night and got in it just to see what it does and the grounds looked good but the gauge cluster situation is the speedo and tach don’t work but the water temp and fuel do work. The tach just kinda stays at zero and twitches a little bit. Anything I can do with the cluster to check it out to see why it isn’t working to atleast try and get the speedo back for her?

hahaha my friends 98 speedo only works 5% of the time and randomly smoke pours out of his dash…

good luck with that one!

thanks for the encouragement lol