VW folks pls enter. Jetta electrical/alarm issue

Buddy has a 96 or 97 jetta. last night he parks the car, locks the door with the key and comes in the house. 30 mins later he goes back out, unlocks it, tries to start it and it goes dead as soon as he turns the key. We pop the batt terminals off and wait 5 mins. Upon putting them back on, the alarm goes off. he puts the key in the door to disarm it and tries to start it, same as before, as soon as the car sees 12v’s at the starter wire, the whole car goes dead. No interior lights or anything. No power at all. We could reset the alarm by popping the batt cable off. after a few resets, it finally starts and havent have a problem since. He read online that this is a common VW issue and you can bypass the factory alarm. Anyone have a solution for this?

reach up under the dash pull the cruise/alarm box (its bolted useing a 10mm bolt under the headlight switch.) remove both sets of plugs from the alarm box. cross the 2 big fat red wires. DO NOT plug the clips back in. reinstall cruise box. and enjoy silence. or bring it by my place and for 10$ i’ll do it.

Thanks for the help. Ill try that later. Will VW’s alarm actually kill all power to the car?

yes… did you figure it out?

My buddy hasnt had any more issues so I think he is waiting for it to happen again before we bypass it