Need help with brakes on Mom's Subaru

Dad is telling me the brake pedal keeps collapsing. He’s bled the air from the system twice already and it still happens. No leaking anywhere as far as he can tell. I had him check the brake booster for vacuum and he says it’s good. Is it the master cylinder? Or could it be something else?

could be frozen slide pins . the pads have detached from the pad backer , the list goes on man . id check to see if the pins move and the pads move first .

Collapsing as in going straight to the floor? Does it come right back and work or no pressure at all?

if its bleedin out good im sure the hydrolics are fine .

Collapsing and little pressure if any.

He says he checked all that. Says hardware on the brake end is good. I’m talking to him on the phone though, so just what he says.

Thanks John. I think he just ordered an MC from Napa. It will be here Tuesday. If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to post. Thanks!

if its bleedin why is he gettin a m/c ?

Everything I’ve read suggests one of the symptoms can be what’s happening to the car (pedal not returning, mushy, etc.). Is that an incorrect possible diagnosis? It’s a 9yr old car, if that makes any difference.

its hard to tell without seein it man , honestly i have nevrrrrrr done a m/c in a scooby . im thinkin a slide pin froze up or suttin dumb

So everytime you give pressure to the pedal it goes to floor?

Like John said, if the fluid level is still good and it’s not bleeding it’s likely to be the booster.

booster isnt bad lolol i said pins in the calipers man

MC can bleed out and still bypass fluid past the piston oring under pressure and leak into the booster. Rare on these cars, but can happen.

As Jon said, can be numerous things. If he’s 100% sold on it be fine at the wheels, I’d start looking at the master on the bottom side for fluid and/or check the ABS module.

Shouldn’t have bought a napa MC. Should buy a new OEM one from Fred down at Capital land subaru on rt50… Tell him I sent you and he’ll cut you a little discount. He’s the parts manager there, same guy I sold my frankenstein WRX to.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Adam, I’ll let my pops know.