need help with skunk2 honda cams

Buying new pistons/rings to solve compression problem. Just dont know if i want 11.5 or 12:1

12:1 is too high for those cams, and also nearing the edge of pump gas capabilities.

guess i never checked a tight motor before!

I recently checked a local guys 99 GSR, his was 240ish all around in a bone stock car. Pretty healthy for 120K!

well skunk2 rep recommended 11.5:1 minimum for tuner 2’s. according to the zeal calculator, corrected for the OEM 0.029" gasket thickness, my static would be 11.87:1, 11.68:1 corrected for altitude. VERY similar with ITR slugs and turbo gasket

It’s a close call. At 12:1 there are far better options for cams. Since you already have them, run 'em. Your power delivery just won’t be as high as it could be, that’s all.

Dyingwish: do you have any reccomendations for installing these without a degree wheel? My buddy might be able to clay it, but if not, that needs to be considered too.

Also, who’s gonna be my best bet for tuning this thing? I was reading a thread on H-T in which Church Automotive got SAE corrected 197whp out of a similar setup with a more restrictive exhaust and stock 10.6:1 compression.

Needless to say i was more than impressed, despite the fact that all dynos are different

If you have the ability to clay, you have the ability to check v-to-v clearances. I’m going to say that J’s suggestion of +2/-2 should be fine to begin wiht…as I’m sure it’s within the appropriate v-to-v specs. The key isn’t to degree them as is, but to know the limits of you advance/retard options. That holds true because you can’t determine power output without a dyno.

To answer your question about expected numbers, that particular number means nothing. It’s where you put down torque and for how long. What I’m saying is, you might end up with a lower peak HP number but a better or more useful powerband. Just put them in, and see what can be done about the tuning aspect.

Reccommended tuning shop or tuner in general? I’ve spoken with turbob16 and fmfkid on here and they are both willing to do it. With all respect for them, i’m looking for vouches

I’d vouch for Joe any day, Travis seems like a nice dude but I have never seen any of his work, so someone else would need to vouch for him. I’m out of garage space so I can’t do it for you.

My name is Jason actually, Travis is the former owner of the del sol. Joe easily has more experience than me, he’s a great tuner I am new, but I think I’m
more than capable of putting a good tune on the car, besides me and Joe there’s hybrid , ost , and I think that’s about it around here, all are great guys so no matter where you end up going you’ll get a good tune

Shit, sorry about that Jason…lapse of memory. When I see your car I still think it’s his, lol.

Lol np I’d never take the credit away from Travis car is immaculate, even tho I’ve changed everything in the engine bay since I got it, I’d never touch the exterior they did such a nice job on it

I can vouche for joe …made 373whp/271wtq on my daily driven stock gsr (arps headstuds sk2 intake manny) car runs perfect to this day , no smoke (other then fuel) or leaks of any kind… that was 3-4 months ago …best part…ebay turbo

“stock gsr” as in stock cast pistons? that has to be like 20 psi or so of boost. that is just awesome if people can make na hondas that are boosted to this power level last more than acouple days these days without cracking a ringland.

everything was stock minus the arp headbolts and sk2 manny…Hondata s300

it was 16 psi…

the car hit 270whp without vtec and at 7k

scared the living shit out of me the first time i raced someone (yamaha R1) the same night it was tuned (on a closed road)…lol

joe is the fuckin man , i will not use anyone else when i have a fwd or rwd car

i stand corrected it was 374whp/270wtq

Haha, yea it made 373 because there was a 15psi spring in the wastegate. I couldent make any less or else I would have! Note that is on a stock map sensor too.

I have tuned countless cars where people have told me straight up. “I go down the highway and hold it 5th gear rev limiter” and “I dont understand how this thing still runs”. These are the kind of peoples car I tuned. So far I would say that I tuned close to 50 hondas and 45 of them where on free crome. and 35 of them where on stock pistons/motors

I am a huge Fan on Ectune/Hondata/Neptune. But around here it doesent seem like anyone wants to spend the extra $300-$500

Most Other tuners will not touch a crome to tune with. Some will, but Charge $500 to do it. Crome works good for simple setups. But I would rather see anyone in something better.

As for vouching for me. I have had one of the fastest FWD around here for years. and since I gotten the dyno I only have gotten faster. Anyone that knows me, knows I am straight up as it gets. And if there is an issue with anything I will make it right.

your a douche…lol

hatch is leaving this weekend , i got another for you …b16 turbo this time…i need some parts tho.

another note: i had hondata s300 (well worth every penny), and i NEVER hit boost in 5th gear , and i ALWAYS let the car warm up and cool down before/after beating on it…that may be why it has lasted

joe , i have another hatch coming this weekend. sry i havnt brought dwn the b20v to get tuned, its being traded so i seen no point…but the new hatch had a fresh b16 in it, i got a turbo kit (no ebay this time) i would like to put it all together and tune this one to 300whp too…i have nice paint and no rust this time…lol

Thats just amazing. I came out with matt and adam when we threw matts turbo ls dc2 on the dyno and it made 275whp at 14lbs. I thought that thing would definetly have a short life at those numbers and boost. Who knows though since matt buys and sells cars every month lol. How does that work tuning on a stock map? doesn’t it max out the map and the voltage at like 12lbs or something. Why wouldn’t it throw a code for it. Basically once the map max’s out it can give it no more fuel based on boost no matter if its 1psi or 10psi more, right?