need inspection

ok i need a inspection on my 03 jetta gls but my check light is on i ran it on the snap on computer and it said my mas air flow sensor was low and i havw tried everything to get the light off and a new sensor is 250 if some one on here has one or knows how to pas this and that can help me let me know thanks everyone.

Take it to a shop and have a professional look at it.

well i work at goodyear and i had a couple of the guys there look at it they said i need the sensor or the light wont turn off :headbang

So then what’s the problem? Get a new sensor and problem solved.

Before you actually try to replace it, because I believe its somewhere around $200 to replace it, try cleaning the sensor first and re-installing it, run the car for a little while and see if the light stays off. I had an 01 Jetta VR6 and the MAF gave me some trouble. I cleaned it and the problem went away.

Did you put an intake or a K&N filter on the end of it recently? The oil on the filter sometimes gets absorbed on to the sensor and causes this problem. Use rubbing alcohol to clean it.

to much 250$ i just got done being sick and havent worked for 5 days i have like no money and car payment coming up i guess i will just have to buy one.

Get a used one off Ebay.

Try disconnecting the battery right before you go for a few minutes, if your lucky it will reset it and stay reset till your inspection is done

ok thanks everyone

even if you do scan it and clear the codes the readiness monitor will still be on and it will still fail unless you drive around and cycle it a couple times and the CEL stays off.

DJ is correct.

If worse comes to worse, bring it to mas gas staion, seriously, if you lights work you pass

i posted in your other thread a link to a new maf for 160$. borrow youre boy ladukes maf its a 2 minute swtich

if i had a stock MAF id let you plug it in, but my car runs on a B5 Audi S4 sensor.

yeaa, best bet if you dont wanna spend any money would be borrow a buddys maf, get it inspected and swap your old beat one back in. At least you will be legal with a new inspection sticker

your correct. i work at a shop and if your obd2 there isn’t much fudging of the system that you can do thanks to nysdot.

i also agree with rubino. get the purest rubbing alcohol and throw the maf in a ziploc baggie with the alcohol and shake the shit out of it. pull it out, let it dry, then reinstall. leave the battery disconnected while doing this, and when the car is restarted hopefully the c.e.l. will be off. then go drive it around a bit. if it stays off, bring it in for a sticker asap.

exactly there really is very few ways to get around it.

good info on here, im proud of our retarded selves for contributing somthing usefull

ok thanks

i think 30r_logik still has his 1.8t sensor element from prior to the BT swap. its worth asking.

k i sent a pm to him. thanks