Need some 3000GT help

I thought I had finally gotten rid of my brother’s 3000GT (in trade for a decent 79 Ford pickup) but apparently even after saying he definitely wanted the car, me taking the time to load a non-running car onto a trailer, and driving to pick up my dad’s truck; he apparently changed his mind and is no longer answering his phone or calling me back like he was supposed to… awesome.

Anyways, since I have this thing on the trailer and pulled to the front, I want to possibly start looking into getting it running again. But I know nothing about these motors. So if anyone could lend a hand for some beer, pizza, and possibly some cash I would greatly appreciate it. If you happen to have a 3000GT that we can try some parts out (mainly coil, ignition control module, etc) I would really really greatly appreciate it.

If not, then I’ll just have to dive in and get my hands dirty to see what we can do.

I do think I have ol school mitsu scanner software around . If not my new scanner should scan it it . Let me see how my weakend goes and ill get at ya ! I need my remote start fixed as well , the security bypass is fucked up as it throws the code when I use scanner .

Sounds good. If it bypass lost programming somehow it could throw a code. If it is the bypass I’ll probably swap it out for a different ones. I was starting to have some issues with a few of the DEI bypasses so I changed over to a more reliable company and everything has been great so far. I just want this damn car out of my yard either selling or trading since I also need a 4x4 for hunting this season…

Does the car run at all?

For a while it was running, but very rough. Then as of lately it cranks and you can hear the compression through the exhaust (disconnected before the cat) but it doesn’t fire. Only the center coil has decent arc (when disconnecting the wires). The other 2 are barely arcing… if at all. I was thinking possibly the CAS, but if that was bad wouldn’t it not have any spark at all? I wish I could find a definitive way to test the connector at the coil to see if I am getting what I should up to that point, but I have no idea what to test for… lol

My 94 was just smashed up in lg at the car show it should still be in the junkyard he’ll deff let us get stuff off it its up here in broadalbin though

I can’t remember, but did you have the ECU replaced? I had mine melt a capacitor, and its a problem with these older models for sure.

Do full build with BIG single turbo. Then sell.

/Problem :lol

Fixed, you asshole.

You are screwed.

I’m thinking the ECU might be my best gamble. Anyone know a way I can test the wires going to the coil? I don’t know what I’m actually looking for on the wires. That will help rule out the coil and leave me with Control module or ECU

You can take the ECU out of the car, take the cover off, and you’ll see leakage from the cap…

^^^^ Would be my first assumption here, as it’s a very common with older mitsu/dsm’s and anyhting JECS related :confused:

relatively easy fix if you’re handy with a soldering iron though…

http://www.stealth316.com/2-ecmremoval.htm

I am still useful! That’s my boy. He is a 3/S GENIUS. That website has a ton of info.

Awesome. I’ll try pulling it out and see what she looks like. Hopefully I don’t get bitten by any mice in the process… lol.

Looks like I might have found it thanks to Shawn. Pulled the ECM out today and this is what I found:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/2012-10-13_11-00-10_79.jpg

That sure as hell looks like a leaking capacitor to me. Now to try to get to radioshack today and pick up a new capacitor and see what happens.

You’re welcome. :hug

Well I replaced all 3 capacitors and still no go. But, there is a lot of corrosion and what looks like bad contacts throughout the board. Anyone possibly have an ECU they could let me borrow to test. I’m pretty sure this one’s no good, but I’d like to know for sure before I drop $150 on a used one that probably won’t last long anyways… lol.

Hans/Emily @ http://www.groundzeroperformance.com/

If you need parts/advice. Good folks.