Need some advice (Car buying content)

I know some of you (T.Travis) and a few others will tell me at my age having a car loan isnt good. I know this, but unfortunately I need something reliable, decent looking and well I want something I’m going to like.

My Ford contour took a shit, started pissing oil everywhere like a geyser and the starter finally shit out.

The reason I am doing this as well at my job I do a lot of residential/small buisness IT calls, showing up in a cheap POS doesnt look good for me our the guy I work for, none the less I’m getting fed up with getting fucked with cars that seem to run great and were maintained only to find out 3-4 months later its a complete piece of shit.

Anyways, I wasnt even planning on going the vehicle loan route until my father brought up possibly co-signing for me so I can get a decent car. I’m not looking for anything brand spanking new but a good well maintained used car. I’m looking around the 5-7k dollar range, I’ve seen some used car dealers with some nice BMW’s, a few audis etc… in that price range (late 90s, and a couple 00’s) All the chevy’s/fords/hayndais/ I see are really small and well I want a decent sized car

For some reason i really want AWD or RWD, but obviously hondas are not out of the question.

Many of you guys have way more experiance with other types of cars, me being mostly a nissan guy, and well to be honest the only other car I want thats nissan is a G20t, but their hard to come buy it seems.

Anyways just looking for some help finding a car in that price range… as well I really dont know whats a good price for some of these cars.

Honestly man, I’m only a fan of Japanese cars (specifically Infiniti/Nissan) but for the price that Maxima’s go for these days…you can’t go wrong (I’m not even talking about my generation). They are solid cars, and I’m not just saying that because I own one. I would recommend them to anyone. I’ve had two of them and my brother has a 2000. They’ve been very reliable and I travel a lot (I got the car with 26k in Nov 06 and now have 95k - average car does 15k/yr). If I didn’t screw with the suspension (lowering), manifold (swapped for a short while to a 00 VI), etc…all those threads you see me make would not have happened. All of my ‘issues’ were a direct result of me doing something before. And, there is a decent ‘mod community’ if you ever wanted to get into that game with it.

Example:

http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sale-wanted/606688-fs-03-maxima-se-titanium-ed-w-meridian-package-6spd-hlsd-pennsylvania.html

3.5, 6SPD HLSD, CLEAN inside and out, fully loaded and relatively low mileage (less than mine)…if I wasn’t happy with my car and had the money, I’d be all over that car.

Modded example (I think it’s beautiful):

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/997/1021/2490510094_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3319/3301/20796650045_large.jpg

Ask the boss for a bonus then, or dont really worry about it. I understand what your saying tho, but having a loan over you all the time… IDK man, I like knowing I own all my cars. Plus you will need full insurance if the car is bought with a car loan.

Get a loan, it helps your credit. :thumb

It actually helped me out more then i knew when i applied for it

And i have faith in you the next car will be sweet.

Not as sweet as that ZX2 JUmpOfF in your driveway tho :frowning:

School, Car, and Home debts are actually good debts to have…if you keep on top of them. GREAT credit builders.

+1.

Don’t go for ‘fad cars’ (BMWs, evidently they are the best things to have) Shady. Do what works best for your situation. Maybe look into an Acura CL Type-S? Those things are QUICK AS HELL and look/ride great. BMW’s and Audi’s are great and all…but could you do better? Probably.

Thats why im not looking at spending to much, and really has nothing to do with my boss asking me, if my countour dident shit out and ran for the next 3 years id be perfectly content with it, but im sick of having unreliable junk, Unfortunatly I dont have a good ammount of money saved up to just buy a nice car for 6-7k right off the batt

I want something I can rely on, as well I’d rather pay ~$200 a month and have somethign I enjoy and can rely on than buy a car for a grand and have to put 500 bucks in it 6 months down the road.

and jeff wtf you talkin about?

BMW/Audi isnt a fad car for me, I love them, their fun to drive… look great and are generaly very reliable… and well I know a few people who are extremely good with them if I need any help…

BTW Whats that maxima you posted go for? Id be down for a 5 speed max, they just seem hard to come by and finding one not beat to shit seems to be impossible

Well too each his own.

I have a lot of russian friends who have nothing but Benz and Beemers. Everything from C-class to S-Class and 1-series to 7-series and everything in between (including M5, M6, M3, X5). Benz I don’t hear much about, but the beemers they are always having issues with. For me personally, I just don’t like their interiors. They are gorgeous on the outside. Give me a BMW body, with an Infinity interior and I will be absolutely thrilled.

That one that I posted might go for a little less if you go by the book…but I’ve been on that forum a LONG time. It’s hard to come by a car that clean. Mine is probably one of the cleanest 4th gens on that entire forum. That 5.5th gen looks immaculate. And he seems very eager to provide the VIN, etc. That’s a good sign.

I’d buy it for slightly less than his asking price (whatever he’s willing to go down to). And that’s a 6SPD HLSD…way better than a 5SPD :).

what was he even asking? I dident see it…

ah NVM 8900

How about a small awd SUV like a Ford Escape? Theres room for a few people and a car seat in one of those and theyre good in all kinds of weather. Gas mileage isnt too bad either.
Id stay away from more expensive cars like BMW’s and Audi’s because the ones in your price range are older with some miles on them and theyre expensive to fix when they break.

Common misconception… After working on a couple bmw’s, giving pete a hand from time to time, and looking shit up… maitnence isnt much more than any other car…

yeah i had the same misconception until i had the m3… not as bad as most people think

get a 99.5-01 Audi A4 2.8 V6. and learn how to change control arms and wheel bearings… they look good. are moderatly swift for daily commuting, decent on gas, AWD. you can get them fairly cheap these days as well.

yup what he said

If I were on the market for a new daily driver, I would probably pick a new Malibu with the V6.

They look ‘professional’ too. :wink:

dumpy as fuck

IMO you should be looking for the most reliable, practical daily you can afford. This isn’t a project car, a ballin ass whip, or a race car. Get something that is newer so it doesn’t look like shit for your job, and something practical & safe you can stuff the family in and go on a road trip. You still ahve your Nissan, so don’t get caught up in the typical Shift518 car buying methodolgy: Are the rims big? Do it ride good?

rental car

Check

FFFFUUUUUUU

Check out a Maxima. Maybe a G20? You had good luck with the one you had before right?