Need Some Gas Lines Run

ok i need gas lines run in my house and after looking on line a bit it sounds a little to much for me… i dont have the leak tester for it and also have never does gas line befor and dont want to blow up the house so if anyone can help me… i have a contractor that told me he would fix it but good thing he has never done it and asked if i could do it

rember im polish…here we go
here is what i need done…from the main line about a 35ft then a 90and then 6ft with a T for the stove then 6ft one more 90 and about 3ft to the dryer … i have a pic if someone wanted that …

sounds like too much fun for me too. i just ran a gas line for my parents house, but it was only moving it accross the kitchen. i just went downstairs, killed the main gas line, ran the stove until there was no more. it wasnt too bad, but it sounds like you need alot more ran thatn what i did. gl man, ill help out if you need it, my brother lives out that way in north collins, so let me know if you need a hand.

i think i can do it … but the whole gas leak idea i dont like… you know its just threaded line and i guess lowes will cut it the sizes i need :gotme:

also the line size gets me to b/c the range uses about 70,000 btu and the dryer uses 35,000 so i think i need to chenge the size and such

if anyone can do it let me know and we can talk money

where i have been looking

http://www.uscarb.com/natural-gas-chart.htm

I can do it im sure. It really is easy, as long as you use like soapy water on all the joint, they will bubble if there is a leak.

i think my problem is trying to find out how much i really need and if i need to go down in size to the dryer… i have read alot on the DIY fourm and it sounds just like i was told how to …just dont want to blow up

I am sure that to my oven is 3/4" and to my dryer is 1/2". I also ran a few 3/4" gas lines to outdoor grills at my house and my buddies house and so far so good.

You don’t have to worry about going too big. You only go as small as possible to avoid paying more than you have to for bigger pipes and fittings.

Just use the proper pipe dope and tighten the crap out of everything, then as mentioned drip some soapy water on each joint and look for bubbles.

WORD :tup:

dont tighten the crap out of the fittings, they are tappered threads and if you over tighten you may cause leaks, snug then a half turn more is all it takes. Once you are done use some soapy water to check for leaks, make sure you use a quality pipe sealant and you should have no problems. you can safely run 3/4" pipe up until the last 2 appliances then step down to 1/2". Also dont forget to incorporate a drip leg ( Ithink thats what its called) at each appliance

Yeah I suppose that given how brittle black iron is you wouldn’t really want to put a lot of ass on it. I’m used to brass fittings, which are soft and deform a lot so up until you break the fitting, the tighter you go the tighter the seal.

i think im going to try it …i ended up getting a tester that you put on the line and throw 20psi at it for 20 min and if no drop your good. but if a drop you go to soapy water…i cant even spell what the name of it is…

what is a drip leg?? i know i need a shut off at everything is that what it is

Here you go

Basically it is a tee, with a nipple and a cap. You can also put a valve near the appliance but that is overkill

the drip leg is there to catch any thing that may be in the gas as it comes through the pipe, the particle falls into the drip leg as the gas passes. You dont need a valve at each appliance but it comes in handy when you need to work on something. If you have to shut down the whole system you have to go around relighting all the pilot lights.

so the people at lowes should know if i say drip leg

Yep, they’ll know. Well, anyone worth taking advice from will know. Although you don’t buy a “drip leg.” You buy a tee instead of an elbow, a 3" (?) pipe nipple, and a hex cap.

leak tester? just light matched like a man

ok so update the contractor that did not know how to do it hired a guy to come in and do it with no extra $$cash$$ on the bill so i an makeing out here i dont have to do it and a someone that does it all day will come out and do it …so thanks for all the help guys