Need some help guys

Hey everyone,

So I’m going to be getting rid of the mazdaspeed 6. I’m looking at trading it on a F250 Super Duty Ext cab. It has the 6.0L turbo diesel with 89K on it. I was wondering if you guys know anything i should be looking for with this truck? if there are any problems to look for or anything like that?

Thanks again guys.

Theres a channel on youtube called powerstroke help or something like that and he will tell you everything there is to know about the 6.0

wish i could watch it but the internet in Afghanistan doesnt let you go on youtube. otherwise i would try and find it lol.

what year 250?
why the need?
why not a 350?
I would not get the extend cab, I would get the full 4 doors… trust me!

Cam position sensor went bad on both mine. Not too expensive to fix. Other than that, not much. Watch out for EGR valves. Get a block heater unit installed too. Nice to fire up a warm diesel.

Its a 2006.
Towing a horse trailer, atvs and all the fun toys.
never looked into the f350’s
i was looking at the 4 doors also. i would like that better than the ext cab. but haved found one i liked yet.

06 isnt that bad of a year.

Mine was an 03, it was the last of the 7.3

I would get a 350, if you’re going to be towing.

4 doors are the way to go, then you dont have to worrk about the ratteling doors.

4x4, right?
Why not a duramax? I was a chevy guy, but when we got one at the farm, I was impressed.

Biggest things we see on Super Dutys of this vintage are ball joints, axle seals, calipers, and as far as it having a 6.0L…that adds to the list. The '06’s weren’t quite so bad. Things to watch out for are EGR vales as stated. They tend to get all clogged up because of either excessive idle time, bad fuel, or just not being worked enough. Also, EGR coolers are prone to go bad, and we all know about the head gaskets. The injectors are pretty brittle - don’t ever run one out of fuel, and evey once in a while we see a bad F.I.C.M. come down the line. There is also a problem with the RH side upipe from the manifold to the turbo - it has a flex section in it and it tends to develop a leak. Just put a head stud kit in it, delete the EGR cooler, and the converter, and it’ll have no problems.

oh wow thank you very much for that info! i was looking at the banks power kits and they were really impressive numbers when it came to torque gains. but thats obv with any diesel really haha.

i think i would stick to a 7.3 if going powerstroke…have you thought about going down south and picking up a clean truck there instead?

I’ve heard nothing but problems for the 6.0 Ford. I think you have to pull the cab off to get at the exhaust and head gaskets. No first hand experience though.

^^It’s not really a requirement to pull the cabs for the head gaskets, but it does make the job easier…

As far as exhaust work goes, it’s easier to pull the F.I.C.M, then the turbo.

Why would he want to buy a vehicle to immediately rip the motor apart before driving it, that’s retarded.

What are you currently towing with now?

It is, but noone was saying he’d HAVE to do any of it…just things to watch out for depending on how the truck was used.

Yah I’m not saying to do this but we’ve had a few of them at my work and between 75-100K miles the y pipe started to leak and they had to pull the cab to fix that, same with the head gasket.

6.0L Power Stroke TTY Head Bolts
The 6.0L Power Stroke uses Torque to yield (TTY) head bolts to secure the cylinder heads. The stock TTY head bolts do a mediocre job of equalizing the clamping force of the had bolts. The head bolts are also much more prone to stretching than head studs, and under high cylinder pressures are prone to fail. For a 6.0L that remains completely stock, the TTY head bolts are suitable. However, for modified engines or engines that are under constant load, the stock head bolts are a weak link in the 6.0L. Additionally, the EGR system can cause high coolant temperatures or turbo overboost situations. High coolant temperatures may cause slight warping of the cylinder heads, which can lead to head bolt failures. Too much turbo boost can result in increased cylinder pressures and cause the TTY bolts to stretch. This causes blow head gaskets.
6.0L Power Stroke EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
The EGR coolers on the 6.0 liter Power Stroke are prone to clogging due to oil & soot build up, which can cause them fail. A failed EGR cooler may contribute to high coolant temperatures of coolant loss. EGR valves are also notorious for failing due to soot build up, which can lead to over-boosting of the turbocharger. To prevent this, the EGR valve should be cleaned routinely. Excessive idling and poor fuel quality can clog the EGR valve rapidly. The efficiency of a diesel engine is reduced at idle due to low combustion temperatures, resulting in increased particulate production. Ford recommends a minimum diesel fuel cetane level of 45 for maximum quality. Motorcraft manufactures a fuel additive for the Power Stroke which is recommended and verified safe by Ford Motor Company. EGR valve issues are not necessarily a design flaw, but rather due to the nature of a diesel engine. EGR cooler issues are related to inadequate design. 2004+ EGR coolers are more prone to failure. 2003 coolers are round, while 2004+ EGR coolers are square (and longer than the 2003 cooler).
6.0L Power Stroke Turbocharger
The 6.0L Power Stroke is equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT). The 6.0L turbocharger is very efficient & provides quick spooling with plenty of airflow through peak RPM. However, the vanes of the VGT that control the displacement of the turbo are prone to sticking from soot build up. If the vanes stick, performance will be sacrificed and the engine may experience a lot of turbo lag. The vanes can often by cleared by operating at WOT for a short period of time, spinning the turbine to a high enough RPM to free the vanes of soot. Additionally, the oil drain tube on early 6.0L Power Strokes is restrictive and can lead to turbocharger failure in some rare situations.
6.0L Oil Cooler Failure
Residual sand not removed during the casting process can clog the coolant side of the oil cooler. Old or sludgy oil can clog the oil side of the cooler. Failure can result in oil being introduced into the cooling system, or coolant overheating, which may result in serious engine damage. Aftermarket coolant filters may prevent particulate from clogging the coolant side of the cooler. Using proper engine oil and changing the oil at the recommended oil change intervals can also prevent failures. Aftermarket bypass oil filters may also prevent problems. Ford also recommends changing the engine coolant at the recommended intervals. Failure of the oil cooler has been related to head gasket failures.

^^This. Every time we get one in where the EGR cooler failed, it usually gets the EGR valve, EGR cooler, Oil cooler, a Unison Ring for the turbo, and a couple of ancillary items…at times we’ve had repeat offenders, and they get all of what I mentioned above minus the EGR cooler. That gets replaced by a cheap EGR delete kit on the DL :snky:

well the truck im looking at now is in Utah. so i would drive my car out there to pick it up and then drive it back. i would order the banks power kit for the truck first thing. just so i could replace alot of the stuff already. just so then i know its all brand new stuff.

Also I’m towing with a GMC Sierra 1500 Z71. i mean it does the job but i would like to have more power and be able to go up hills easier.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

how much would it run to have the TTY bolts replaced with stonger ones? Also how much would it be to have the EGR delete done, along with replacing the EGR valve and Oil cooler with better ones?

Thanks again guys.

The TTY head bolts get replaced with ARP studs, and they’re not cheap. As far as labor goes, that ain’t an easy pill to swallow either - figure on about 19.5- 20.0hrs of book time at our shop rate which is $95 an hour for diesel. No additional labor should accrue for the coolers, as you have to take that shit off to get down to the head bolts anyway.

The oil cooler doesn’t get replaced because it’s a bad design, but because it gets contaminated from the failure of the EGR cooler.