Need to get a new computer, a little help please.

So currently I use a crappy Compaq laptop that only half works. My keyboard doesnt work so I have to use an external keyboard, and there is a really annoying glitch that moves the cursor to the beginning of a sentence mid typing along with moving a web page back to the top as Im scrolling down. TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!!

Budget: < $1000

Im going to UNC Charlotte for Mechanical engineering with a focus in motorsports so I will be doing rendering, word processing, Internet, Music, etc. Im looking to get a desktop PC That will allow me to tackle the above with ease as well as use it as a HTPC down the road when I want. I was thinking about adding a second HD at some point that would be dedicated for movies and hook my tower up to my LCD in my room. This isnt a HUGE requirement but Is something that I would spend a little more for. I dont do ANY gaming BTW, only standard media.

So my question is this:

1. Are there any off the shelf systems that you can think of that would do what I need with ease?
  2. Ive thought about building my own rig, but this would be my first. Is this something a computer beginner can handle?
  3. I havent been “into” computers in a long long time. Any kind of constructive advice would be appreciated.

Building a computer is easy and they are much higher quality and much faster than pre-built.

+1 on building your own. As long as all the parts are compatible with each other there is really no problem. Then you aren’t dealing with proprietary parts and you can swap bits and pieces as they age or fail.

How do I know which parts are compatible? I would ASSume there isnt a sticker somewhere on the box saying “I work with x,y, & z”

Like if you get an intel processor you can’t get an AMD board…Newegg has a few kits also. Basically just put them together. I assume you need keyboard, mouse and monitor also?

If your going to spend $1000 now a days you can buy a decent pre built for that price…

If you have never put together a computer before I wouldn’t start with some high dollar build.

Something like this might not be too bad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.558465

Agreed 100%. I have built about 5-6 now for myself, friends, family businesses etc.

Building your own is where its at. For a first time starter I highly suggest the newegg combo builds. Cant beat the prices

Any reason this combo wouldnt meet my needs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.548074

What could/should I upgrade? Other suggestions for combos?

Not a bad combo…still need a video card, power supply, optical drives, and a case

<EDIT> technically you dont need a video card since the mother board has one built in…I’d recommend one.

not too bad of a deal

Personally, I would go with an intel processor.

If you’re doing rendering, definitely get a decent video card.

imo. AMD cpus are doing quite well. In my lab at college for our hardware class we just bought 16 new machines. 8 Intel Machines and 8 AMD machines. We built them all ourselves and of all the builds the AMD systems had the least amount of failures. 1 Amd didnt work and only 2 Intel machines are querky.

Ok, In Newegg ATM trying to get a list of components. I like the idea of getting one of the combos but I have a few more newb questions:

1. Difference between AMD and Intel? I know Intel has their i-3, i-5,i-7’s (all of which means nothing to me) and AMD has their lines. What would be a minimum/ideal for my application?

2. Graphics card- Again, I have no idea what these specs are that Im looking at so what is the minimum/ideal for rendering and movie playback on a 37" 1080P LCD?

3. PSU- A lot of the cases Im looking at have PSU included but they vary between them. I see a lot between 400-500w. Again, Min/ideal?

4. Motherboard- Anything special I should be looking for on the motherboard? Obviously I need a MB that will work with Intel if I go with Intel or AMD if I go with AMD.

I really appreciate all your help!!

I can try and build you something for ~$1,000

<EDIT>
Modified a proposed build for my brother…
http://bit.ly/g30yuT

Only thing I would change is a different brand PSU. Such as PC power and cooling

That’s a good looking system, but I’d drop the pretty case and just get something basic to save some cash. Also, unless marathon gaming sessions where and over clocking that i5 are planned the heatsink and fan that come with the processor would be fine.

Don’t forget the cost of an OS as well. Microsoft is getting a lot better with their anti-piracy and make it a pain in the ass to keep hacktivating Win 7. If you’re a UB student or know one you can get one copy of Win 7 ultimate for around $10.

Just don’t install Windows Update kb971033 :).

To be honest, I completely disagree with the fan/heatsink. The stock ones are just plain garbage.