Need VW Bros. opinions

I need to get a winter car and want to then give it to my girlfriend after the winter so she has something to shoot around town in. She likes little cars and I always though old Vws were cute/cool. She wants something she can play around with a little bit.

I found this on craigslist. What are your opinions on this car from the add. Says needs fuel pressure regulator but I could not find the part by searching advanced auto and Napa.

http://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/1423070466.html

1981 VW Rabbit convertible.

“Project car” bothers me some. Looks decent from the pictures though. Nothing some actual care for the car wont do

I want to know is this a decent car for $399. Maybe someone wants to take a ride down with me to look at it some time

no, please don’t. CIS is a such a pain in the ass. if it breaks good luck trying to fix CIS.

what are you looking to spend?

try

There is not one cool thing about that car

http://bmwfi.com/kyon/kyon1.jpg

do eet

Im just looking for a nice cheap pick up ~$400-$500 that runs and has a semi decent body with working heat. The rest we’ll pretty much replace/ re do oursleves.

That CIS system does look complicated from the schematic i found. When they say fuel pressure regulator i imagine they mean the control pressure regualtor

It doesnt look promising unless youre ready to redo pretty much everything but glass on that car, Ron. It looks REALLY neglected.
Ryan, I think I’d be the only one on here that would do a golf/gti like the one in the pic. Nobody thought that car looked good. Remember like that yellow scion xb Dave posted?

as i look at it I believe i could have the car looking completely different in one day worth of work.

This CIS thing though. Seems people replace it with a basica carb. set up or something. I know nothing about VWs but I am very mechanically inclined so i need more feedback on this from you guys.

Cosmetics is not something that bothers me in anyway. Look how much body work i have done on the lexus. Interior work is mad easy and engine bay clean up used to be one of my specialties in the honda days.

What about this CIS thing? Just looks like a complicated primitive fuel injection set up. Any one care to elaborate?

How about possible engine swaps in this chassi?

dont do it, youll kick yourself later when it becomes your abortion and no one will buy it…

CIS is simple as fuck. Mechanical fuel injection. I don’t understand how you guys have a hard time working on it…

I already called that guy. He says it needs a new fuel dizzy. It’s not uncommon for the injectors to need a good cleaning, or other minor adjustments. Regardless, parts for these engines are pennies on the dollar, and can usually be found on the dirty cheap. ( I already sourced a couple within a few hours locally after I called about this car.)

Swaps? Well, sky is the limit. Although all cabriolets are A1 chassis- which makes it basically a rabbit. Options are out there, but if you’re not familiar with VW’s, better of sticking with what’s in there, really.

On the plus, that interior pattern is pretty rare. For the money, it’s a killer deal if you know what you’re getting in to, but expect the top to leak like a motherfucker. Windshield will likely leak too. Figure another 500 bucks you can have a pretty decent runner.

That car will be absolutely FREEZING to drive in the winter. Trust me. Be prepared. I’ll be happy to lend a hand working on it or helping you out if you end up buying it.

sweet parts car if youve got a later rabbit. but i am willing to bet the top leaks somewhere. the floors are probably rusting as a result of that.

i have a fuel dizzy, and lines/injectors.

i hated it when my GLI shit the bed… could nt figue out the problem… tried almost new everything.

seems it would be worth taking a look at if you’re looking for that kind of car

I remember that. But as a rule, they’re super easy to work on. I wouldn’t take your situation as the norm.

Freezing during winter is not something i want to hear. lol

Ofcourse i dont drive to and from work far enough for the car to heat up anyway

I would not do it if I was you …

yea we tried for days straight to get that damn thing to run. pity that car was fuckin fun

yes it was… pretty fast too.

CIS is fine when it works. Once they sit for a period of time stuff gets gummed up and stops working. A new (rebuilt) fuel distributor will run you over $200. New injectors are 40+ each. I have seen people swap out 1 or 2 parts and have a good running CIS car. I have also seen people change every single component and still have headaches. If you can’t sort the CIS out swap in an ABA (MK3 4cyl) into. You are certain to get mad Bros in that car. Give germanautoparts.com in Clifton Park a shot if you need parts.

well said

Sounds like a car that is way to much work to get into reliable condition for my Girlfriend to drive.

Thanks for the help Bros