Neon 2.4 swap

Anyone have experience with this? I’ll be putting a 2.4 into a 2000 and I’m gonna need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Reference your sig. Save money the and embarrassment. /Thread

i had one in a 98, what do you need to know? i know a 2000 is different but…

Neonglh and I did a 2.4 with SRT internals and turbo stuff into a '95. I think it’s easier to do the swap into a 2000, but you’re going to have to deal with OBD scans…

Oh yeah, it’s not worth doing the swap unless you’re going to turbo it. Keeping it NA is gay.

03 - 05 is easiest caus eu dont have to swap out any interior harnesses anythign before 03 is hardest and before 2000 you have to fabricate one of the mounts

dude, just buy my srt4.

if you don’t, i will have to agree that this is the dumbest idea ever and i’ll do flyby’s on you whenever i see you cruising around.

I knew flaming would ensue :meh2:

Anyways, I’m just wondering if any local’s want to lend a hand or know a decent shop that can because I can’t do the swap by myself.

I do not plan on keeping it N/A.

If you do not plan on keeping it N/A, than you plan on having a bunch of troubles since it is a OBD2 car, and there is no easy solution for passing inspection besides running a piggyback for fuel that would certainly make the car run poorly.

I have done quite a bit of neon work, including swaps, motor builds, etc… Your best bet will be to join neons.org, it is the best neon community (1st and 2nd gen) that you can find. There are many smart people on there that can help you through this process.

I would start by asking the reason for this, and going from there. If your motor is blown, that is a good reason to “consider” the swap. If you want to be faster, this is a bad idea. The 2.4 will not be any faster than your 2.0 while it is N/A, and once you turbo it, both motors will perform the same for most people.

I vote don’t do it.

I am on the org and have read/learned a lot, I just don’t know of any members offhand that live near by, I sent ya a PM also.

Hah, I didn’t realize your sig was about me :nerd:

I’d be up to help come spring or a heated garage/shop. ImahustlaABC has a 2.4 neon he is turboing so he’d probably be some help.

is this your daily?

Don’t do it.

gay… sell your car for 3k and buy a built 300-400hp 1st gen for 4-5k on neons.org

If I were in your shoes I would just save the money from not doing the swap and put it towards a new car. Yea they are light and fast but they are also a POS. From my experience they fall apart wayy too easily. The new swapped engine might be good and all but the frames and body and everything else just rot away like no tomorrow. I rather buy an old miata or something like that you can take to the track if you are swapping engines and going all out.

x2

do what i did

www.hahnracecraft.com

swap in a later harness even if you have to run it as a standalone per se. you can update to a later harness legally im pretty sure but not an earlier. if someone has alldata they can look at the pintouts between the later 2003-2005 neon and yours. you might have to do some connector rewiring but it shouldnt be too bad. then you could do a SCT or a diablosport reflash with the SRT operating system but you would have to use a SRT block for the difference in crank positioning sensor. full SRT swap is going to be the most straight forward though you can stick with the T-350 gearbox.

you dont have to use a full SRT harness. you can use a regular neon one and add some wiring. SebringLX on www.turbo-mopar.com did a 2.4L turbo in a 2004 Sebring and used the sebring wiring plus a few small bits and reflashed the ecu to SRT spec.

if you do it that way, you wont have the yearly hassle of hooking the stock ecu back up and trying to clear codes to get the car to pass inspection.

Brian

take a look at my wifes 98… no rotting away there.

they are cheap cars but they are solid platforms.

Brian

You have no clue what you are talking about.