Neon and NT DSM bois and girls, school me on the 420a

I know it’s not great

But I have some toolbox telling me 300 WHP is easy on stock block

And I haven’t seen anything more than 200WHP reliably.

Are the sleeves shit?

Yeah Right the 420A maybe can put out 220-240 @ the wheels on 7-10 psi before going kaboom…and I can tell you from first hand experience.

Ive seen kids with completely built all motor setups only putting down 150hp @ the wheels on 2gnt.com

what size turbo did you put on it

howie… i dont know if i will be able to return your phonecall today…

as for your post, 300whp on a 420a is not EASY, built motor or not.

what does this person mean by stock block? are we talking completely stock bottom end? in that case, laugh in his/her face for suggestikng 300whp on stock internals

if they are saying stock block, like untouched block but forged internals and good piston rings, then yes, it is feasible. POSSIBLE. but NOT easy.

200whp is attainable, but i wouldnt even say that is easy and reliable

300whp is attainable as well, but definitely not easy.

weakest link on those motors is rings. simple as that. but also, detonation and fuel supply are big problems.

420a na to turbo is anything but plug and play. lots of trial and error, which to me does not = easy.

I’m getting what I consider to be ‘very good results’ with nitrous and mild fuel mod/management. And I’ve never had a reliability issue for the 3 years I’ve owned the vehicle. I’d like to get it on the dyno, but I’m estimating somewhere in the 200 -225 range, with the upper end being generous. I know that’s a pretty broad range, but with no base dyno #'s for my particular vehicle, it’s just an estimate. But, no reliability issues, compression is still A+ perfect. Everything that Sam said about the 420A is very true, regarding the rings and everything, as he has been there, and done that.

:tup:

NP, spank j00

heads designed by lotus?

Is that true?

Not that just because something is designed by somebody means it is automatically good.

I’d say another weak point on this motor is the rod hardware. They seem to like to throw rod caps. I’ve seen a few 420a motors that have ventilated the side of the block.

Sounds like that someone is confused with the Turbo III motor used in the Spirit and Daytona…

EDIT: R/T

head was NOT designed by lotus, this person is very confused

and stock neon blocks handle 200-230 whp before they go

rods not pistons

I threw a rod on two different motors…I was running a Star Stage II Turbo Kit with a Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo, Spearco FMIC, Walbro255lph, Vortech SFMU, etc. etc.

LOL this fucktard :

Him:
420a is hardly a POS, theres a 420a powered neon thats over 1000hp and doesn’t have any block problems… of course this is considering its been completely built up from pistons to bearings but the core is extremely strong and the head is designed by lotus…

Me:

Wait.

Are you saying the 420a head is designed by lotus?

If you are you’re getting that confused with the spirit RT motor

Him:
dude its my car… ive researched enough, ive fucked with it enough and i know enough people with eclipses (stock turbo and not) to know the capability… you DONT have a 420a powered car do you? have you? if you answer no to both, then DONT even act like you know… im not going to start telling you shit about your engine…

btw the head is designed by lotus and im not getting anything confused…
and im talking BHP BRAKE HORSE POWER, not flywheel.

:cjerk:

the head is NOT designed by lotus

the pistons ARE designed by mahle, which makes lotus pistons

HOWEVER, just because mahle designed pistons for a fucking neon and a lotus does not mean they are the same quality.

i mean, for christs sake, toyota made the supra and the paseo… doesnt mean they are of equal quality. chevy made the prism and the z06, definitely not comparable.

even if lotus designed the 420a head, it doesnt matter. it is still difficult as hell to squeeze any substantial hp out of that motor without some heavy duty work.

Hahahahahaha! Wow

Why do you even bother Howie?

All the 420as we see that were turbo are blown up. Don refuses to even put turbos on those cars because they are such a reliability.

I think you could build a respectable 420a with pistons, ARP hardware on head and rods probably mains too, and an upgraded head gasket. Once all that’s done you have a well designed DOHC 2.0. Fuel system upgrades and boost away. The returnless fuel system is problematic, but not all cars had this.

Hey I successfully turbo’d my 420a!!! Sure it was only boosted for two months before the accident, but it was a success story nonetheless!!!

420a 1000hp neon?
that kid should really stop talking now… if he really knew neons he would know that the engine code is d4re not 420a
and if he wanted to make good power numbers he should swap in the 2.4l from a stratus/caravan or pt/srt
i dont know about the head tho… i always thought it was a chrysler design

yeah im with intense…as i have been reading through this thread i got more and more confused because ive helped joe and miniSRT4 out plenty of times to know the 420a does not exist in the neon world, the 420a is in DSM’s and made its way into the dodge avenger as well. on top of that is the 420a even DOHC? i swear i thought it was SOHC when i looked at an avenger

'95-'99 DOHC 2.0 Neon is a 420a engine.