Network Gurus: long distance wired home network

why not go wireless? cantenna all day

run a access point in the garage and run the cantenna into that.

Those DECA units look like a decent alternative. They are MOCA based, dirt cheap on ebay, pickup two power supplies. Mid-RF 500-850mhz, so rg6 should work on a 350ft run vs rg 11 (only about a 10db) difference. Mixed reviews but some people are pumping data 500ft + away on rg6 with only a 4ms added latency, 100base-t.

If you want to do it right, use flooded rg11, take into account it requires two rg11 compression fittings, specific rg11 prep and compression tool, usually $$.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

May I suggest downloading a wifi app, my fav on droid is wifi analyzer (netstumbler on pc) and see if if a antenna which cantenna is about 8-10db increase is going to help.

Alot of good info in this thread, I’d just do wifi too easy cheap solution.

All these nerds getting their panties in a bunch over 20 feet over the rated distance (just don’t tell the wire, or lie when it asks before letting the electrons through) when it’s in an empty conduit through an empty yard? Just do it. I bet it’ll be a better connection than wifi over 300 feet.

I ended up using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dualcomm-Ethernet-over-Adapters-DECA-100/dp/B009AGCLVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366573993&sr=8-1&keywords=deca+100

They seem to work great. Given that I already had the coax this turned out to be a fairly cheap project. Speedtest came back the same as the house, except for a 41ms ping vs 38.

Well if your using rg6 you should be getting speeds like that lol good choice tho

Not sure on the coax distance limitations but basically get two moca bridges, one in the house, run rg6 to shop and connect the coax into the other bridge. You speed is limited to around 300mb or so doing this.

I was too late to respond. Sorry. Moca bridges work, and the routers are dirt cheap on fleabay.