Network Hardware Question (easy one)

Cat 5e vs. Cat 6

Is it worth the extra pennies to run cat 6? Longest individual run from switch to NIC will be ~60 feet.

I have to wire the new home, and thought Id check before I buy a bulk roll.

FIBER! dont f around… i think 6 is the better route. but i am not too into it. as long as it works is fine with me.

cat 6 if you have a gigabit network, with the changing times gig networks maybe all over.

How long do you plan on staying at this house?

how much of a price difference is it?

cat 6’s only advantage is over long distance.

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

Good reading.

Think about it this way. How much work is it to run the cable? I’m guessing a lot if you’re going to make it look professional. Now how hard are you going to kick yourself 5 years from now when you’re running it all over again because the Cat5e is outdated and slow?

Not going to spend the time on FO, not proliferated enough.

Im thinking we’ll be in this place at least 3 years, during which I need to update at least (2) of the PCs in the house… so all gigabit wont be very far off. That brings up my next point:

This is what I’d heard also… hence the question.

I assume that a fair share of that is marketing…

But, sold.

We’re moving video, music, and picture files around all the time. Add in all of the wired entertainment toys…

:tup:

Fiberoptics for networking a new home :lol:

u only need cat5e for those distances, even with gigabit lan

Hey some people have money like that :bloated: :slight_smile:

what while all the trucks are in the timmy ho’s and there getting thier crack i am getting 20-40’ runz… :iwish:

Because of its improved transmission performance and superior immunity from external noise, systems operating over category 6 cabling will have fewer errors vs. category 5e for current applications.

Is there really that much of an issue with external noise that there are errors?

Well, somewhat related story here.

I moved my router to the back of my entertainment center because it was way cheaper (free) to put a wireless card in my desktop than get a wireless card for my Xbox. That night I couldn’t pull in any stations off my HD antenna. I figured out that the cat5 cable was leaking so much interference that when they ran through the wall together I got 0 signal on the TV.

The next day I drilled an additional hole and kept the cat5 at least 4 feet from the RG6 coax, and all was well. If it was leaking that much I’m sure it’s also very susceptible to noise.

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_Beads/ferrite_beads.html

try some of these next time. or you could use some RAM

why not just go wireless?

speed & consistency. at any given time there are 2 to 5 pcs online, with one in the works.