Networking nerds enter

so. I’m looking to build an apple server room.

end goal is to have xsan with multipal xserve’s and xraids

one xraid to start.

soo. there are two fiber cards on the server. this is my problem. someone school me on setting up a fiber network. should I just call a consultant?

Well for 1 xraid which has 2 Fiber cards…you obviously don’t need anything…

Anyways we use a QLogic Fiberswitch…

then how do you expect me to connect to the xraid… wouldn’t i need to setup a bridge from fiber to Ethernet?

my network experience is linksys. so help :slight_smile:

What are you trying to do actually?

Get Data from the raid -> end client?

yes. closed network, i dont care about security on it.

eventually 10-15 end clients. all must be able to access data fasssst. i want at least 1gb to the desktop… i dont think i want fiber yet…

but what we buy must be scalable… I will have multiple xraids and an xsan managing it within 6mo

call someone…

Those Xraids come with 2 Fiber ports and 2 Ethernet

you never pick up the phone. isn’t rick james some cisco god that can send me his knowledge via the net.

just point and click, wait 24 hrs, plug it in and start playing with it.

it cant be that hard. i mean c’omeon

apple told the 2 10/100 which are only used for configuring. can you check your setup real quick? how are people accessing the data?

The 2 Fiber come out of the X Raid -> Into the XServer -> 1000Gb Xserver -> Switch

Honestly if you need advice/help on setup call the Mac…I just added 1 more Xraid/Xserver…but the old setup I showed you was all setup over the phone by someone who doesn’t know much.

so aaron set up the old one?:lolham:

:lol:

Like I said anyways…We have 15-20 people on streaming un compressed video over ethernet here with no delay issues…

Dont waste your money on fiber unless you are running into distance issues. Its expensive, fragile, etc. Do what you can to make it a 10/100/1000 port. I dont see why you cant buy a card to throw in the server to use instead of a fiber port.

The whole point is of the fiber with this setup is to connect the raids to the server

Not to connect the fiber -> end user

Its 4gb Fiber

check it on the website… its not a normal server. its built to have fiber --> something else

The server is to be built into a scalable san

http://www.xsanity.com/mediagallery/index.php?page=1

hilarious…douche

Make sure you install the MPIO drivers on each server if you have redundant paths to the SAN or else your drives will show up twice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/formulals1/IMAGE_003.jpg