New Acer Notebook Help....

Okay, my friend bought the Acer 5610 Core 2 Duo. He somehow got a spyware program installed where this program killed explorer every 8 seconds. So, I couldn’t uninstall the malicious program or even run AV. here is the big question…the software that Acer has installed on their system which allow you to dim the screen, changed screen savers, blah blah, was wiped out when I reinstalled windows. He called Acer tech support and they told them that he should have copied the files on to a disk before reinstalling windows. WTF? That could not be done because explorer was getting shut down every 8 seconds. Even when I boot in safe-mode, still happened. His sister has the same laptop. Can I somehow copy those files off her computer onto his? I don’t think so because there needs to be some exe file to extract the files. Anyone ever have this issue that can elaborate? Acer doesn’t have the recovery disk yet available for the next 3 weeks.

why would you want that shit from acer.

There are much better programs.
post his needs and I, or several others can post better programs, most of which are open source.

edit: looking for the acer screen dim program

Really? I never use mine…he is semi-computer knowledge limited. Can you name some functions these third party programs perform? I am interested.

Goto Acers website usually you can download all the pre installed acer software/drivers there.

And honestly you did not need to reinstall windows…

Boot off a utility CD ERD Commander or any of the other ones…Delete the spyware…or atleast kill it down to the point of being able to install AV software if your a n00b.

OR shoot me a PM next time lol

[quote=“Marcus,post:3,topic:25224"”]

Really? I never use mine…he is semi-computer knowledge limited. Can you name some functions these third party programs perform? I am interested.

[/quote]

I did quick skim, and it sounds like he wants the software that came loaded with the computer correct?

but the screen dim, program seems like it may be unique to acer notebooks, unfortunately…

is not in this list

http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/index.html

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:4,topic:25224"”]

Goto Acers website usually you can download all the pre installed acer software/drivers there.

Boot off a utility CD ERD Commander or any of the other ones…Delete the spyware…or atleast kill it down to the point of being able to install AV software if your a n00b.

[/quote]

lol i just looked into that… they are nothing like the support that dell has, which is quite unfortunate

making it quite the pain in the ass to find drivers, or that specific program. Also you really can’t just copy the programs off her computer, the fun things about windows is it HAS to install, make entries in the registry, and blah blah blah…

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:4,topic:25224"”]

[/quote]

above sound great! However there is nothing on acer’s site yet because this damn book is brand new. They dont have anything with Vista support. The only pice of software he got with the notebook was Vista.

Hmm Vista…I was gonna say I have a stack of Acer CDs sitting here…

I use an Aspire 3610 I don’t know how different the utility’s are between model numbers.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:7,topic:25224"”]

Hmm Vista…I was gonna say I have a stack of Acer CDs sitting here…

I use an Aspire 3610 I don’t know how different the utility’s are between model numbers.

[/quote]

Yeah, acer has the previous versions of their utilities available but only for xp. the new onces which their tech support claims will ONLY work with vista are not yet available for download and they want $40 for a recovery cd.

wow, note to self - don’t fucking bother with acer notebooks

Computer companies are rediculous these days, even Dell won’t include hard disk’s with they system, thats why they have a recovery partition so you can make a copy of it. Retarded cuz anybody who knows anything already formats a computer fresh from Dell, etc. to get rid of the bloat ware

Actually when you first boot up Acers it asks you if you want to make recovery CDs…it then burns a snapshop dvd of your current setup.