new bike soon a few questions

going to be picking up a yamaha tw200 in a few weeks, so far all I have done is sat on it and decided it is something I feel I will be very comfterable riding, and with only 200cc it shouldnt be to powerful for my first bike. I have been searching the dmv website trying to apply for my permit but I am having no luck, now for my question; do they do the permit test every day and what should I expect? I was going to grab one of the books they have but is it going to be as pointless as the book they want you to study for your driving permit?

Cant apply online, its basically the same as your drivers permit test except a handful of bike related questions, very basic common sense stuff, I mean even my dumbass got all the questions right! LOL

cool that’s what I figured, I’ll just drop by the dmv tomorrow a.m if they do the permit test daily.

Yeah its everyday man. Welcome to the new riders club!

I would also recommand taking the MSF courses; well that is until may be other people started posting how that MSF is for pussies or for like really old people and a f’ing waste of time and money and how riding a motorcycle is so f’ing easy and only retards can’t do it on their own, and if you respect the bike you will NEVER crash…:rofl

I think it shows respect to the bike to take the courses, I would if I was in NY.

Safety courses are for pussies. Buy a liter bike, strap on a skull cap and a beater and just hop on the Northway. You’ll be fine, brah.

:rofl

The safety course is most likely in my future, pending the time/date doesn’t interfere with my schedule. The same people saying its a waste of time are prob the same people telling me I’m a retard for wanting this 200cc bike, and not getting a 1l rocket instead :lol

Yup. Read my thread and how it turned into a huge 600cc vs 250 arguement. Better safe than dead.

The sooner you take it the more valuable it is.

Instead of being a boring review for the first day of basics it will allow you to get good habits from the getgo.

it’s a good thing I’m not getting a bike to go fast!

Some of the most fun I’ve ever had on bikes was on my 38hp Motard.

Granted just about any bike will do 100mph and at that speed the ground won’t care how fast the bike you are on is.

The bike looks like it will be a blast once I learn how to ride it. Have you ever felt uncomfterable on the highway with the lack of power/gearing?

Yes.

Motard - somewhat, just due to the fact that it’s 5 speed. Could use another gear. I still ride highway all the time, just would think twice about anything over 30 miles on highway.

250 - a bit less of an issue.

Powerwise, while they won’t be the peppiest things in the world at those speeds you will be just fine going with traffic. Just don’t expect to do a power bomb blast past people.

I’m not interested in driving fast and I understand it won’t have the power to blow past people, not an issue to me. I do plan on using it to commute up through the adks about 100miles each way away occasionally however. Do you think an aircooled bike will run into overheating issues if I were to say cruise 100miles up 87n on a pretty warm day?

nope. aircooled only really have issues in traffic

that’s fine because I have ZERO interest in driving through heavy traffic and will avoid it as much as possible.

Never owned anything aircooled, but as RTrac1 said, if you’re moving, you’re fine.

Ok that was my main concern, for the price of the bike I guess I can’t go wrong then. Looks like I’m getting it soon after I get my permit, can’t wait to get in on this fun!